Senior Technical Advisor: Catalysing Energy Investments and Power Sector Reform in Eswatini
eSwatini’s energy plan identifies the lack of security of electricity supply as the key challeng for the country’s energy system. Failing technology costs have made domestic renewable energy increasingly competitive and could meet the country’s electricity demand if tailored support is provided.
The global Energy Transformation Programme (GET.pro), implemented by GIZ, is a European Multi-Donor platform delivering on international energy and climate goals. To support energy sector development, GET.pro will deploy two instruments in eSwatini.
GET.invest mobilises private investment in renewable energies by supporting project developers and companies towards investment readiness and linking them with suitable finances.
GET.transform provides technical assistance to the public sector in power sector transformation including support on enabling energy policy and regulation, renewable energy grid and system integration, as well as electrification frameworks
GET.invest and GET.transform have designed, in close coordination with the EU Delegation eSwatini, a set of activities and interventions directly targeting the specific needs of eSwatini energy sector.
GET.pro is jointly co-financed by the European Union, Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden and implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH.
CONTEX OF ASSIGNEMENT
GET.transform and GET.invest are looking to fill a country advisor position to coordinate the implementation of GET.invest and GET.transform activities in eSwatini. The Technical Advisor will work in close coordination with the EU-Delegation in eSwatini, the eSwatini government and private sector stakeholders and will be a member of the highly motivated and agile global GET.pro team. The position provides the opportunity to undertake a complex, highly impactful assignment, and the ability to network with multiple stakeholders in an exciting market environment. The position is based in Pretoria, South Africa, from where the Eswatini country activities will be coordinated. The position includes frequent travels to eSwatini.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
The Country Advisor eSwatini is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Design, coordinate and implement GET.invest and GET.transform activities in eSwatini and ensuring complementarity between public and private sector advisory.
- Identify energy sector support needs in eSwatini and develop targeted advisory activities for public and private sector partners (including the eSwatini energy ministry, regulator, state utility, IPPs, renewable energy associations).
- Coordinate the implementation with a team of international GIZ experts as well as with external service providers. Coordinate and oversee international short-term and long-term expert consulting teams.
- Represent GET.transform and GET.invest towards the EU Delegation in eSwatini, the eSwatini Government as well as private sector partners.
- Manage administrative support processes that are routed through the GIZ South Africa country office, incl. financing agreements to associations.
- Organise events such as workshops, seminars and other means of information sharing among government decision-makers, industry representatives and other experts. Represent GET.transform and GET.invest at such public events.
- Monitoring and evaluation of project activities and impacts, incl. reporting.
- Take on regular business trips to eSwatini to engage with project partners.
- Contribute to and represent GET.transform and GET.invest in the GIZ energy cluster South Africa.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of Global Energy Transformation Programme (GET.pro). This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality and work permission status in South Africa with the job title quoted on the email subject line for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Internal and External Applicants: submit your application to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 18 February 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full Job Description download below.