Senior Technical Advisor – Support to the South African COVID-19 Vaccine Roll-Out and Local Production (SAVax)
South Africa, as part of a pan-African strategy plans to strengthen local production of vaccines in the short and medium term in line with the African Union's new Partnership for African Local Vaccine Manufacturing. Supporting the vaccine production ecosystem will make part of the new GIZ project in South Africa.
For the immediate operational and strategic support of the South African local production, the project is recruiting an experienced advisor with a strong pharmaceutical background and a solid network within the South African pharmaceutical sector. The project will collaborate with universities, companies along the value chain of vaccine manufacturing and the regulation authority (SAHPRA) to strengthen the local capacities for the development and production of new vaccines, including mRNA technology.
The Senior Technical Advisor is responsible for:
- Ensure stakeholder engagement and an effective collaboration with the Department of Science and Innovation and the Medical Research Council, SAHPRA as well as other partners on vaccine production
- Under the leadership of the component leader, ensure delivery and quality of the project activities already from the planning to the implementation such as grants to universities or consultancy services
- Provide technical advice on the regional dimension of the project activities including alignment with the African Medical Agency and demand generation for South African vaccines
- Plan, implement and coordinate activities with other GIZ projects and diverse institutions including KfW and actively identify interfaces and synergies.
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation system of the project.
- Editing of content for public relations in coordination with the communication department of the Department of Science and Innovation and possible grantees.
- Support in the preparation and presentation of technical papers for internal and external information events.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter stating why they should be the preferred candidate. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating nationality to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Technical Advisor – SAVax” for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 20 October 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full Job Description below.