Graduate Internship - GIZ Programme South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN) support to SAWEA
Reports to: Renewable Energy Technical Advisor
Duration: Six (6) months May– October 2018
The South African German Energy Programme (SAGEN) aims to employ a young South African graduate for the purpose of an internship. SAGEN supports the South African Wind Energy Association (SAWEA) and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), and collaborates on topics to strengthen the wind energy industry to improve investment conditions in the renewable energy sector.
The job description below is for an intern to be employed to support SAWEA and the CSIR in their activities with data collection, data management and the development of IT tools. The position will be based at the CSIR offices in Meiring Naude Road, Pretoria.
- ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Main Outputs for the Internship:
The intern will be providing technical support towards the development of tools, data collection and data management - his/her tasks will therefore comprise but not be limited to:
- The development and finalisation of the “Wind Energy Capacity Factor Calculator” tool. This would include the collection of data for input and further programming using the scripting language Python.
- Management and utilisation of large-multi-dimensional datasets in formats such as Network Common Data Form (netCDF);
- Collection of energy production and met mast data (historical and real time), and power curve acquisition for large and small scale wind IPP projects in South Africa;
- Storage and interpretation of production and met mast data.
- Testing of the tools’ graphical user interface (GUI) with users; providing recommendations for improvement and conceptualising new ideas for enhancing the tool.
- App development compatible with iOS and Android operating systems.
- Conducting and supporting research activities as and when required on technical projects and data support.
- Coordinating processes regarding the project evaluation within the team.
- Overall ad-hoc administrative support.
- Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
Postgraduate degree in an area related to:
- Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, Software Development
- Engineering degree (with some programming experience)
Candidates in the possession of, or in the process of completing a Master’s degree will be favoured.
Competencies and professional experience
- Knowledge and experience in App Development (iOS, Android), and Python programming;
- Experience with large, multi-dimensional data sets and analysis;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written English);
- Excellent MS-office skills (outlook, power point, word, excel);
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of renewables, especially wind energy will be advantageous:
- Understanding of wind turbine performance particularly: power curves, annual energy production, capacity factors and Weibull distributions will be advantageous;
- Understanding of the components of, and factors influencing Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCOE) of renewable energy generation;
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a detailed CV’s and motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org attention Head of Unit, Dorothey Taaibosch, with the following subject line: “Application for the SAGEN-SAWEA Internship”.
Closing date for applications: 01 May 2018.
Only Permanent Residence holders and/or South Africa Citizens will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!