Job Description - Advisor: Communication Digital Transformation and Knowledge Management
Salary Band 4 – Professional 4T
Reports to: Country Director (CD)
The GIZ Country Director South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland is responsible for all GIZ activities in taking place in these countries. The management of this portfolio requires extensive knowledge management in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
In addition to that the communication and public relations activities of GIZ need to be intensified and the communication activities of the individual projects require coordination and common standards to ensure that GIZ South Africa/Lesotho/Swaziland is well positioned in public and the political environment in the region as well as in Germany.
Digital transformation in South Africa and GIZ activities related to that broad topic is a new and cross cutting subject for all projects and for the GIZ office with strategic importance.
To support the Country Director with the office team and the projects, we are looking for an Advisor (m/f) who will fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Assisting and supporting the Country Director in all aspects of Knowledge Management, Communications and Digital Transformation;
- Coordinate the group of communication experts in the projects and in the office to:
- Apply GIZ-standards in communicating GIZ activities in South Africa and Lesotho;
- Develop new communication tools;
- Update and maintain general GIZ South Africa/Lesotho presentations in Intranet, Internet and standard presentations;
- Liaise with communication functions at Head Quarters (HQ) and in other GIZ offices;
- Organize strategic, technical and political information, relevant for GIZ South Africa outside of the scope of individual projects. Share this information with CD, Senior Management Team (SMT) and other GIZ internal stakeholders;
- Act as contact person for HQ and projects in all general aspects of digitalisation. Organize information exchange among the projects and the office.
- Implement standards and guidelines for GIZ communication work described in the “Recommendations for communication by GIZ Offices’;
- Support the country director with strategic orientation of communication in the country, in presenting a consistent corporate image and communicating GIZ corporate policy and strategy to staff;
- Update the concept for communicating country-related information both within and outside of GIZ, systematic planning and management of communication activities;
- Cooperate and consult with other German implementing organisations in the region and the German embassy;
- Report to the Senior Management Team (SMT) on internal and external communication measures and upon request participating in SMT meetings;
- Cooperate with GIZ’s Corporate Communications Unit, manage the exchange of information on communication (among other things by contributing themes, trends, risks, research on information, e.g. for media enquiries from Germany, planning and implementing media tours, supplying texts for internal media);
- Cooperate and participate in the corporate communication network;
- Advise projects in the country and possibly local communication experts on their communication work, and manage the exchange of information between projects, programmes and the GIZ office;
- Assure the quality and compliance with the GIZ Corporate Design Manual / Guidelines of all kind of publications from projects or programmes;
- Coordinate cooperation with external communication service providers;
- Maintain and updates existing GIZ SA and Lesotho website, is responsible for the GIZ Office social media;
- Organize knowledge management within GIZ on all general aspects of development work in South Africa and Lesotho, relevant to GIZ;
- Act as contact point for the Digital Partner within the Africa Department at HQ;
- Follow the discussion on digital transformation in South Africa and advise CD and SMT;
- Assume the DMS focal point function for GIZ office, verifies the data integrity and documents saved on the GIZ shared drive an in the Digital Management Systems (DMS);
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- University degree in Communications, Social Sciences, International Relations, Business, Economics or a related field.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in the field of development communication, knowledge management and/or digital transformation possibly in an international working environment.
Other Knowledge and Additional Competencies
- Interest and passion for international development;
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Working knowledge of design software (Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator) is desirable;
- Proficiency in digital communications, particularly web editing, is required;
- Experience in project and/or event management;
- Experience and sensitivity for political communication;
- Editorial experience, experience in writing articles and press releases (evidenced e.g. by work samples);
- Experience in working in an international context, intercultural skills;
- Good verbal and written English communication skills and a confident style that is suited to the target group. Understanding and knowledge of German will be an added advantage;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills across hierarchies and different disciplines;
- Strategic thinking;
- Good self-organization, multitasking, result-orientation;
- Willingness to travel within and outside the country
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting their detailed CV and a motivation letter to: email@example.com attention Head of Unit, Dorothey Taaibosch, with the subject line: “Application: Advisor: Communication Digital Transformation and Knowledge Management ”.
Closing date for applications: 08 February 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!