Over 10,000 tonnes of ozone-depleting substances (ODS) substituted and some 46 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions (in CO2 equivalent) saved – this is the track record on which the Proklima sector programme can now look back on after 20 years of activity. The cost of achieving a reduction of one tonne of CO2 equivalent through Proklima activities is currently at EUR 1/t.
So far, Proklima has supported partner organizations and governments in more than 40 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America with the successful implementation of measures related to ozone layer and climate protection.
In the last 20 years Proklima carried out 225 projects within the Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol and 14 complementary projects within the International Climate Initative.
- Emission reduction: Proklima promotes the use of green cooling technologies running with natural refrigerants. This helps to protect the environment: Using natural refrigerants reduces direct emissions of F-gases, which harm the ozone layer and the climate. So far Proklima helped to save more than 100 million tones of CO2 euivalents.
- Energy Efficiency: Within its projects, Proklima focuses on highly efficient cooling appliances with lower energy consumption, thereby avoiding fossil fuel consumption.
- Resources: Proklima promotes the use of natural refrigerants, which are naturally occurring substances. Unlike fluorinated substances which are produced from fluorspar, natural refrigerants do not deplete resources.
- Waste: Proklima conducts projects aiming for a sustainable and environmentally friendly disposal and destruction of ozone depleting substances.
Within its projects, Proklima covers the entire life-cycle of appliances, from the raw products, through production, maintenance and repair right up to environmentally sound recycling. Together with stakeholders, such as industry, government and end-users, Proklima demonstrated green technology innovations and supports their economic competitiveness.
- Economic growth: Better supply chains, trainings and transfer of know-how increase the overall economic competitiveness of a country and their local industry.
- Cost savings: With the installation and usage of highly energy efficient cooling technologies, end-users, such as supermarkets or hotels, save big on their energy bills.
- Production and availability: Proklima supports the use of natural refrigerants in cooling and foam blowing equipment. This is less costly and consumes far less energy than the production of synthetic refrigerants. The handling of natural substances cannot be restricted by patents, so they can be processed and sold by any company in any country locally.
- Employment and education: Proklima conducts trainings and enables managers, engineers, technicians and servicing personnel in the refrigeration and air conditioning sectors to stay up-to-date and work in accordance with the current regulations and standards. Their services are sought as the demand for robust, energy efficient technologies rises. Certified training increases the chances of proper employment and a better income.
- Food & Health: A reliable cooling chain ensures both safe food and medical supplies. Proklima set up demonstration projects for solar cooling appliances. This way, even people in remote areas off the grid have access to medical supplies and vaccines and are store fresh food appropriately. As food is best sold fresh, reliable cooling chains also ensure the incomes of local producers and retailers.
- Living conditions: Proklima supports the production and dissemination of green and energy efficient household appliances. Families' electricity bills will go down when replacing old fridges, freezers or air conditioners by new, efficient ones.
Already in the 1990s, Proklima was deeply involved in a trend-setting technology transfer project together with the US EPA, Greenpeace and the Chinese company Haier. In this project, German “Greenfreeze” technology (domestic refrigeration with natural refrigerants) was transferred to China and India. This technology revolutionized refrigerator production in Europe and Asia and is now the standard technology in Europe and many other regions: Today there are more than 350 million of these climate-friendly refrigerators in use. Since 2008, Proklima supports an equivalent development in the air conditioning (AC) sector.
Methylbromide phase out in Jordan
Phone: +49 6196 79-1968
Fax: +49 6196 7980-1968
SEARCHING FOR PROKLIMA PUBLICATIONS
All publications by Proklima are to be found in the GIZ publication database. If you do not know the exact title of a document, you may search for 'Proklima' in the Quick Search.