Call for Application: Winter Academy 2014 “Transformation Lawyers - Legal Dialogue for Legal Transformation”
Since 2001, the German government’s Caucasus Initiative has promoted cross-border cooperation between the South Caucasus countries of Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. In 2014, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is sponsoring the Winter Academy “Transformation Lawyers – Legal Dialog for Legal Transformation” for young lawyers from the region for the fifth time.
The Winter Academy Transformation Lawyers aims to create a scientific and practice-oriented atmosphere which will facilitate a professional dialogue and intensive exchange of information among the participants. The courses will be held in English. Up to a total of 25 participants from all three countries will:
- engage in a legal dialogue on legal transformation in the South Caucasus, and
- intensify their legal knowledge and legal practice skills.
GIZ is pleased to have won the renowned Hertie School of Governance (Berlin) as well as the Bucerius Law School (Hamburg) to conduct the Winter Academy.
The topics covered in the Winter Academy are diverse and will include:
- Civil law versus case law;
- Skills training in legal methodology;
- A platform for discussions about legal fundamentals of political science and rule of law;
- Intensive training in selected fields of European, public and private law (e.g. consumer protection and competition law);
- Practical communication and presentation skills;
- Negotiation techniques and leadership skills as well as
- Cross - cutting topics, e.g. gender aspects and transitional justice.
The work on legal challenges and issues relevant to all three countries will create an international professional network within the South Caucasus and with links to Germany. The practice-oriented training and international experience gained at the Winter Academy “Transformation Lawyers” make the participants valuable cooperation partners for GIZ and its future legal and judicial reform activities. While introducing their new competencies in their daily work, the scholars will play an important role in advancing legal and judicial reforms in their home countries.
The Winter Academy is targeted at lawyers from South Caucasus from judicial and administrative fields with the following profile:
- completed university degree in law;
- at least two years work experience in the public sector in Armenia, Azerbaijan or Georgia;
- between 24 and 35 years of age;
- interested in foreign law concepts; and
- good knowledge of the English language.
How to apply?
If you are interested in participating in the Winter Academy “Transformation Lawyers”, we kindly ask you to submit the following documents:
- the application form (download)
- a motivation letter (maximum 2 pages) to explain your interest in the Winter Academy, and your
- specific motives for participating in a regional event.
Both documents need to be submitted in English language to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 October 2013.
Please note that only complete applications submitted by the deadline date will be considered.
Application and further information