Timber associations and companies of Viet Nam and Laos agree on future cooperation
To promote the practice of legality assurance and sustainability of imported timber in the supply chain, an online exchange between Viet Nam and Laos’ timber associations and companies was organised on 03 June, 2022. The exchange also shared valuable updates on the VPA-FLEGT process in the two countries and their respective legality requirements, as well as opened up opportunities for further cooperation.
Both sides expressed their wish to continue the coordination mechanism in the upcoming time. Mr. Ngo Si Hoai, Chairman of Association of Vietnam Timber and Forest Product (VIFOREST) and Xaybandith Rasphone, Vice-Chairman of Lao National Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LNCCI) proposed specific actions to strengthen corporation:
• Creating an exchange platform on legal regulations and updates on the negotiation and implementation of VPA/FLEGT between Viet Nam and Laos
• Organising exhibitions and fairs for the wood industry of the two nations
• Exchanging technical training on wood-product production
• Co-developing the Memorandum of Understanding between the two nations’ timber associations
• Proposing related policy advocacy to the governments of the two countries.
Over 80 participants including delegates from Vietnamese and Laotian governments and from the two countries’ private sectors (LNCCI, LWPA, LFA, VIFOREST, BIFA, HAWA, enterprises) were present at the meeting.
This event was organised by the Association of Vietnam Timber and Forest Product (VIFOREST) with support from the project “Support to VPA processes in Viet Nam: Towards legal timber supply chains between VPA countries”. The project is commissioned by the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development of Germany (BMZ) and co-financed by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office of the United Kingdom (FCDO). The project is jointly implemented by the Viet Nam Administration of Forestry (VNFOREST) and GIZ.