Communications and Dialogue on Climate Change and Biodiversity Technical Advisor
Reports to: Programme Manager CSP IV
Duration: Until – 31 December 2024
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The Climate Support Programme (CSP) funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) is supporting the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, (DFFE) in developing and implementing climate change policy. Areas of technical and financial support include the topics of adaptation to the adverse effects of climate change, mitigation of greenhouse gases, monitoring and evaluation, Climate Changes Response Support Programmes (Implementation of Climate Action) as well as Climate Policy and Governance.
The advertised position is oriented at strengthening the dialogue on climate change and biodiversity with a focus on South Africa. This output is meant to support policy and implementation of policy and climate change and biodiversity in a cross-cutting manner. It is expected that the various forms of exchange contribute to policy advancement and the enabling environment for implementation. Focus is on the interface function for BMU/IKI projects in the country with the aim to facilitate knowledge exchange and trigger collaboration among the community of IKI funded projects. Further, the project supports political and thematic dialogues and exchanges between stakeholders in South Africa and Germany and beyond. Finally, activities on Climate Change awareness, learning and communication will be supported and gender aspects mainstreamed. Youth involvement is another important area of support.
The Technical Advisor is expected to undertake the following tasks:
Dialogue on Climate Change and Biodiversity:
- Organise regular coordination meetings (physical or virtual) with IKI projects in South Africa and IKI multi-country projects with components in South Africa to promote knowledge sharing and networking
- Contribute to a synergetic knowledge management of all IKI projects active in SA towards BMU
- Support political dialogue and exchanges between partners in South Africa and BMU, as well between South African partners and the German government and EU
- Provide monitoring, analyses and reporting on media and/or scientific reports as well as key political announcements and statements on climate/energy/biodiversity issues
- Planning and implementation of regular communication to the other (30) BMU IKI projects in the country, aiming at establishing a firm network with interlinkages and cooperation (including mapping of those for reporting purposes);
- Prepare mappings of activities of other projects to identify synergies and gaps;
- Preparation of IKI Newsletters, including coordination of team members contributions as well as compiling own articles;
- Organising the yearly IKI networking workshop as well as further thematic exchange platforms on climate change and biodiversity, including support to the technical concept as well procurement process (including preparation of the procurement documents such as ToR, budget, etc.) in case a facilitator is needed;
- Support youth-led climate change - biodiversity nexus initiatives / movements, inter alia, through capacity building, trainings etc.
- Other activities related to this component as need arise.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred candidate and the value added they will bring to the work of CSP4. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality to: firstname.lastname@example.org , with the job title quoted on the email subject line for the attention of Head of Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: 16 September 2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description download below.