Senior Technical Advisor: Integrated Catchment Management (ICM) Operations
Reports to: Component Manager
Duration: Until 31 December 2023 (With the possibility of an extension until March 2025)
The BMZ - financed programme “Transboundary Water Management in SADC” supports the implementation of regional strategies for Integrated Water Resource Management. In its fifth phase, the focus lies on supporting the national programme ReNOKA for Integrated Catchment Management (ICM) in Lesotho, which is co-financed by the EU. ReNOKA is a multi-stakeholder initiative that includes ministries, civil society and the private sector. The programme aims to develop capacities of Basotho stakeholders and implementing rehabilitation and prevention measures at catchment level.
Different approaches to integrated catchment planning and implementation have been followed in Lesotho in the past. The ICM programme is implementing a harmonised approach by piloting catchment planning processes at community, local council, and catchment management area levels. In parallel, national planning guidelines and financing mechanisms to fund implementation plans are being developed.
Decentralised ICM is coordinated from six regional catchment management offices staffed by government ReNOKA catchment managers, GIZ regional technical advisors, and implementation partners. The regional teams support the establishment of ICM institutions, planning, implementation and monitoring in the six catchment management areas.
The ICM programme is looking for a Technical Advisor - ICM Operations to oversee operational activities at every level and managing quality assurance in the development and implementation of integrated catchment planning, implementation and monitoring processes in Lesotho.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Technical Advisor - ICM Operations will be based in Maseru, report to the Component Manager, Catchment Planning and Implementation and co-lead the component with the Component Manager. The Advisor will steer the planning processes based on international experiences, advise and support the regional teams with the development of ‘bankable’ and climate resilient integrated catchment management plans, strategising the sound implementation of ICM actions and reporting on status quo. The position requires a thorough understanding and field experience of IWRM / ICM planning and implementation at community and catchment levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Technical Advisor - ICM Operations is required to undertake the following tasks:
- Refine and improve integrated catchment management planning processes
- Manage all processes related to the development of a national guideline for integrated catchment management planning and its application at different levels.
- Contribute to refinement and improvement of draft concepts and guidelines on catchment planning at community and catchment levels by introducing proven international or regional approaches that can be applied in the Lesotho context.
- Ensure the systematic integration of climate resilient and gender considerations in the catchment planning processes in close collaboration with the Climate Resilience Advisor.
- Support alignment of community engagement, capacity building and livelihood approaches with planning processes.
- Contribute to development of standard approaches and training modules on bio-physical and socio-economic situation assessments, transect walks, identification of issues and solutions, prioritising interventions and measures, and compilation of implementation (action) plans.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
A motivation letter (concisely 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred
candidate, the value added they will bring to the ICM project and their desired salary range.
This should be accompanied by a detailed CV and indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject line “Application for Technical Advisor – ICM Operations” for the attention of Head of Human Resource
NB: Interviews will be held in Maseru, Lesotho
Applications from Southern African Development Community (SADC) regions are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications: 12 May 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description below.