Supporting Morocco’s climate policy
Title: Accelerate Morocco’s readiness to implement its climate action policy on a broad level
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Lead executing agency: Department of the Environment of the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Environment
Overall term: 2020 to 2022
Morocco has been greatly involved in combating global warming for years. The country has committed itself to an ambitious greenhouse gas reduction policy, aiming to increase the proportion of renewables in its national energy mix to 52 per cent by 2030. A Vision 2050 for a Low Emission Development Strategy (LEDS) is also in preparation.
In the Moroccan Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), which were revised in 2020, the kingdom estimates that it will need USD 38.7 billion to reduce greenhouse gas emissions alone. In terms of climate change adaptation measures, the funding requirement is at least USD 35 billion for the most vulnerable areas up to 2030. However, not all sectors of the economy have yet estimated the planned adjustment measures.
There are now three institutions accredited by the Green Climate Fund (GCF) in Morocco. So far, the GCF has financed six projects: two for adaptation, one for mitigation and three cross-sectoral projects. Without access to additional climate funding, it will be difficult to set higher targets.
Morocco’s ability to implement its Nationally Determined Contributions is strengthened.
The project supports Morocco in implementing its NDCs based on five priority areas:
- Developing an inclusive and gender-sensitive financing strategy for implementing the NDCs.
- Translating the financing strategy and the planned country programme into concrete investment plans for two priority areas. These will be identified during the course of the project.
- Helping the Moroccan financial sector and private sector to identify climate investment opportunities and gain access to international climate financing.
- Strengthening the ability of regions, cities and communities to translate climate change plans into concrete project ideas and to identify sources of funding. In addition, project pipelines in which several projects are prepared for financing and presented to potential donors are being developed in four regions of Morocco. The projects are selected based on a multi-criteria analysis.
- Establishing and implementing a participatory process to continuously update the national programme for the implementation of the NDCs.
Last update: April 2021