Strategic partner for foundations
Expertise: GIZ’s years of experience in the field of international cooperation provide considerable expertise across a range of global issues. GIZ has extensive know-how in project implementation and a tried-and-tested network of national and local agencies, civil society organisations and private sector companies in more than 130 countries.
GIZ as a partner: With experience in shaping complex processes, GIZ brings together diverse interests from politics, the private sector and civil society in both international and local contexts. This makes GIZ the ideal partner for foundations seeking to implement and achieve their strategic objectives, especially in developing countries and emerging economies. GIZ operates in many different sectors, including education, climate change mitigation, health, digitalisation and sustainable economic development.
GIZ’s services for foundations and private sponsors include:
- Advisory services
GIZ advises foundations on engagement in developing countries and emerging economies. Long-term close cooperation with governments and non-governmental organisations around the world means that the company’s experts have substantial regional skills, forming a solid basis for successful and effective long-term project implementation.
- Project implementation
With specialist knowledge, GIZ supports effective and sustainable project development and local implementation. Throughout project implementation, progress is being monitored using specific performance indicators, gauging the long-term impact of projects. This enables foundations to test their ideas, compile examples of best practice and roll out successful models to other sectors and regions.
- Access to dialogue platforms and networks
GIZ helps foundations and private sponsors to find suitable partners, enabling them to establish a network of contacts and jointly implement ideas internationally and locally. Working with foundations and partners, we discuss perspectives and objectives and devise tailor-made solutions.
Working with GIZ
Foundations can cooperate with GIZ in a number of ways.
- Foundations as commissioning parties
- Cofinancing: A foundation makes a financial contribution to a current project on behalf of a public commissioning party (e.g. BMZ). The project receiving support benefits from the protection of having agreements with partner governments and is implemented in line with standards agreed by the relevant ministry.
- Direct commissioning: A foundation commissions GIZ to implement an individual and tailor-made service from its design through to implementation and evaluation.
- Other forms of cooperation
Where foundations and GIZ are pursuing shared objectives, there are further opportunities for cooperation, such as joint event organisation or commissioning of a foundation by GIZ.