Promoting more efficient local governance for inclusive development
Local Governance Reform Programme III
German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Lead executing agency
2023 to 2026
Products and expertise
Governance and Democracy
Currently, the vast majority of local authorities in the Palestinian Territories are not able to provide municipal services effectively or to ensure the systematic and structural participation of citizens, particularly women, youth and people with disabilities. They have largely been shaped by the Israeli occupation since 1967, the annexation of East Jerusalem, the limited sovereignty and the crisis-ridden financial situation of the Palestinian Authority, and the intra-Palestinian division between the West Bank and the Gaza Strip since 2007. However, local government services are particularly important in securing the livelihood of the population and key actors in promoting democracy and development.
Palestinian institutions are undergoing important reforms to enhance their core governance processes, redefine cooperation and improve the relation between the local authorities and citizens.
The delivery of local services in the Palestinian Territories has become more inclusive, effective and efficient.
The project supports governance reform processes and promotes inclusive local government action by:
- institutionalising local mechanisms of accountability, anti-corruption and gender-sensitive as well as inclusive citizen orientation
- increasing transparency and efficiency in local financial management
- driving digital transformation and evidence-based policymaking
- promoting innovative, data-driven, climate-sensitive and inclusive development and spatial planning
- assisting local actors in communicating their contributions to the 2030 Agenda
- promoting technical knowledge exchange and professional trainings.
Last update: July 2023