Developing Kosovo’s economy together with business membership organisations
Title: Economic Development for the Stabilisation of the Labour Market in Kosovo (Entrepreneurship Promotion)
Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Lead executing agency: Ministry of Industry, Entrepreneurship and Trade, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Development
Overall term: 2021 to 2024
As the European country with the youngest population, Kosovo faces a variety of economic problems. These include unemployment, poverty and corruption. Kosovo’s economic growth is based primarily on public investment and remittances. It is therefore vital to create a vibrant private sector that can boost economic growth. This will not only reduce poverty but also generate jobs. Developing and building sustainable solutions in Kosovo is key. For example, in in sectors with high potential employment like manufacturing, agriculture and information and communication technologies. By nurturing a business environment for micro small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) via business membership organisations (BMOs), it can greatly improve business practices and conduct in Kosovo.
The competitiveness of MSMEs in sectors with a high employment potential is improved.
The project focus lies in:
- consolidating support structures for the private sector by improving the activities and management of business membership organisations in different sectors
- improving and further advancing the business development services offered to MSMEs by business membership organisations
- supporting the government in improving its instruments for economic development
Models of service delivery:
- technical advisory services
- provision of internal and external expertise
- support for public-private dialogue
The activities focus on the manufacturing and agriculture sector. Gender issues, the integration of returnees and digitalisation are cross-cutting topics that play a role in of the project’s activities.
Last update: March 2022