German-Bangladesh Higher Education Network for Sustainable Textiles (HEST)
Title: German-Bangladesh Higher Education Network for Sustainable Textiles (HEST)
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Lead executing agency: Ministry of Education, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
Overall term: 2017 to 2019
The textile industry is vital for Bangladesh’s economy and social development. While the industry has been enjoying an impressive growth rate over the last two decades the challenges remain to transform it into a healthy industry and contribute to sustainable development. Bangladesh’s Government has addressed the lack of skilled mid-level managers in its National Education Policy of 2010 as well as in the 7th Five-Year Plan, which is likely to affect the growth of the textiles and RMG sector in the future. The objective of the German-Bangladesh Higher Education Network for Sustainable Textiles (HEST) project is to narrow down this skill gap. University faculty members in collaboration with the industry will address the social and ecological challenges of the textiles and garment sector. The project will also contribute to SDG-4 (Quality Education).
Sustainability issues are part of the curricula in higher education and training courses. The future generation of managers receives training in this field.
In order to reduce the skill gap of mid-level managers, the project has three levels of interventions:
- To embed social and environmental aspects and to improve the quality of study programmes in Bangladeshi universities with curriculum enhancement relevant to the textile sector.
- To boost applied research in cooperation with the industry.
- To support universities in developing modules for management training on responsible corporate management and organise pilot trainings at factory level.
In order to achieve this goal three university partnerships have been formed involving four German and eight Bangladeshi universities.
- Chemnitz University of Technology
- Dresden University of Technology
- University of Stuttgart
- Hof University of Applied Sciences
- Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology
- Asian University for Women
- Bangladesh University of Textiles
- BGMEA University of Fashion and Technology
- Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology
- North South University
- Notre Dame University Bangladesh
- University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a cooperation partner.