Promoting rooftop solar systems in Viet Nam
Title: Commercial and Industrial Rooftop Solar (CIRTS)
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Country: Viet Nam
Lead executing agency: Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT)
Overall term: 2021 to 2025
As a tropical country, Viet Nam has great potential for rooftop solar (RTS) power. The government is promoting RTS power at policy level to help reduce the grid load and to relieve pressure on the government to invest in transmission grids. At the same time investor interest in RTS is growing thanks to flexible installation timeframes and investment capital.
However, challenges remain:
- Large numbers of RTS will affect grid operations and infrastructure although individual systems are small.
- Viet Nam lacks state-of-the-art grid connection procedures, efficient data acquisition and processing as well as secure integration into IT systems for dispatching.
- Technical standards and safety requirements are not specific to solar panels and RTS installation.
The market conditions for commercial rooftop solar panels in Viet Nam are improved.
The project focuses on three areas:
Legal and Regulatory Framework
- Analysing gaps in technical rules and standards for RTS grid integration
- Recommending adaptation to international best practices
- Facilitating a technical working group to clarify the need for rules and standards updates
- Improving the technical and administrative management at Vietnam Electricity’s (EVN), the country’s largest electricity supplier
- Providing better access for relevant actors to knowledge and services in RTS systems
Information Base Improvement
- Introducing international experience in RTS business models in Viet Nam
- Providing EVN with strategic advice to ensure stable business operations in the long term
- Promoting innovations
Last update: October 2021