Promoting inclusive and user-centred e-services in Jordan (eGOV JO)
Inclusive and User-centred Digital Services in Jordan (eGOV)
Federal Ministry for Economic Co-operation and Development (BMZ)
2020 to 2023
Jordan, Ministry of Local Administration
Products and expertise
Governance and Democracy
Jordan published its first e-government strategy in 2002 and made digital transformation in the public sector an integral part of its Public Administration Modernisation Roadmap. Despite some initial successes, the implementation is not progressing as fast as anticipated. The younger generation's affinity for technology has not translated into high usage rates.
The Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship (MoDEE) has therefore developed a new digital transformation strategy focused on implementing standardised technology for e-services by 2025. This strategy aims to launch e-services in various public authorities, leveraging Jordan's solid IT provider market and thriving start-up scene.
At local government level, 42 municipal services are to become digitalised and then connected to the central government app SANAD. By engaging with end users and relevant actors, MoDEE aims for an inclusive transformation of services that takes into account the needs of local communities.
The municipal e-services are now becoming more efficient, inclusive and user-friendly in three pilot municipalities in Jordan (Zarqa, Ramtha, and Karak).
The project activities include:
- contributing to spreading e-services throughout the three selected pilot municipalities,
- establishing innovative participation formats for e-services application,
- making service transformation inclusive to meet the demands and needs of end users in the local communities,
- supporting municipalities in reaching out to end users and better engaging with the actors relevant to digital transformation,
- building skills and providing technical assistance to the project's political and implementation partners to ensure effective change management during the transition,
- documenting and sharing learning experience from pilot activities.
Last update: April 2023