Support for implementation of the Tunisian Solar Plan
Title: Support the implementation of the Tunisian Solar Plan
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB)
Lead executing agency: The Electricity and Renewable Energies Department within the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Renewable Energies
Overall term: 2015 to 2019
The Tunisian Government defined the framework for the promotion of energy efficiency and renewable energy with the Tunisian Solar Plan, law no.°12-2015 for the production of electricity from renewable energy sources and the 2030 energy strategy . To monitor progress towards the set objectives and smoothly integrate electricity from renewable energy sources into the Tunisian grid, structures must be created and processes and rules established.
The Tunisian Government has successfully implemented the Solar Plan. The investment programme announced as part of the legislation and the 2030 energy strategy has been put into practice.
The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB) has commissioned the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH to implement the project. The Tunisian partner is the Electricity and Renewable Energies Department within the Ministry of Energy, Mining and Renewable Energy (MEMER). The Tunisian National Agency of Energy Conservation (ANME), the Tunisian electricity and gas company (STEG), the private sector and Tunisian universities have signalled their willingness to support the project.
The project has five jointly developed areas of focus for its activities:
- Economic modelling of energy scenarios and assessment of the impact of the Solar Plan. The objective is to establish a fact-based energy policy.
- Management and monitoring of the Solar Plan by establishing structures and strengthening institutional capacity.
- Operationalisation of different instruments to implement the Solar Plan, in particular awarding projects for concession, authorisation or in-house production.
- Implementation of procedures and rules for the smooth integration of electricity from renewable energy sources into the national grid.
- Support for public and private companies in the implementation of photovoltaic and wind projects.
The expertise of the local grid operator in grid connections has been further developed in training. The accompanying manuals will be available soon.