Solutions for sustainable water management
Water is a source of vital nutrients, a commodity, a production factor and a habitat, making it essential for development. As the global population grows, so too does the demand for food, energy and water. Conflicts over the use of water are aggravated by water wastage and contamination. Water shortages, floods and increasing water pollution are posing mounting challenges for economic and social development in many countries around the globe.
An efficient water sector provides access to clean drinking water and appropriate sanitary facilities; it fosters sustainable and efficient wastewater management, halts the spread of water-borne diseases and secures water resources for future generations. Finding sustainable water management solutions is therefore a top priority for many governments, private enterprises and civil society. For more than 30 years, GIZ has been providing advice and support, and is currently implementing successful water projects in over 60 countries around the globe.
Assessment of water resources
- ground water and surface water
- rainwater harvesting and water reuse
- monitoring, modelling and forecasting
Training for utilities
- strategic and organisational management
- technical management for operations and maintenance
- rural water services
- integrated water resources management
- policy and strategy development
- regulation and financing mechanisms
- master planning and source protection
- contract management