Adaptation C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF) Advisor
Reports to - Project Lead: LCCR Water
Duration - 1 August 2022 - 31 March 2024 (option of extension)
The C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF) is a programme funded by the Governments of Germany, United Kingdom and France and is jointly implemented by the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The overall objective of the CFF is to provide project preparation support to selected C40 cities in developing and emerging countries to technically prepare and financially structure sustainable low carbon and climate resilience infrastructure projects.
In South Africa, the CFF has established a partnership with the City of Cape Town to support the City administration in the project preparation process for a city-wide project looking at green infrastructure options for improved waterway and catchment management. For this, the CFF will support the City to technically prepare the project and develop a business case to prove the financial viability for using nature-based solutions instead of, or as a hybrid with, grey infrastructure. Furthermore, the CFF may be establishing additional partnerships with two other municipalities in the Western Cape with the objective to build resilience of their river catchments through green infrastructure measures using approaches and lessons learnt from Cape Town.
For this work the CFF is looking for an Advisor to support the CFF, the City of Cape Town and potentially two additional municipalities in bringing these projects to feasibility and bankability stage.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Advisor will support the CFF, the Bulk Services (Water and Sanitation) Department and the Environmental Management Department in Cape Town as well respective departments in two additional municipalities in the Western Cape. The assignment includes, e.g.:
- Building effective working relationships between CFF and above-mentioned departments
- Supporting these departments to identify technical assistance and training needs required to bring the project to bankability stage
- Translating identified needs into Terms of References (ToRs) for the procurement of national/international technical consultants
- Support GIZ in the procurement of consultants and supervise the delivery of consultancy services on a day-to-day basis (incl. quality control of deliverables, technical backstopping)
- Ensure the effective implementation of technical assistance and training activities and report periodically on the progress
- Actively steer and support knowledge exchange between the municipalities and beyond.
The Advisor will be based in the City of Cape Town’s offices. He/she will report to the CFF Operations Team in Germany. He/she will ensure that the respective departments are in the driving seats of the projects and her/his role will be that of an external advisor, empowering City officials to deliver the project.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter stating why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the project. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality to: email@example.com with the subject line: “Advisor Adaptation C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF)” for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 12 June 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description below.