Energy Technical Advisor under South Africa – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)
Reports to: Programme Manager - SAGEN
Duration: Until 31 December 2024
Change is accelerating within power systems across the world. The main factors driving this transformation include the economic and political drive towards low-cost clean energy solutions, the acceleration of decentralised power generation technologies, increased digitalisation, and energy efficiency reaching across entire power systems. These changes are resulting in a structural shift in the way power systems and markets are set up and operated.
The South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN) collaborates with South African partners to manage this energy transition with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. SAGEN is funded by the German government and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in cooperation with the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), Eskom and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) under the government-to-government coordination of National Treasury (NT).
SAGEN’s support includes the following fields of activity towards the transformation of the South African energy sector:
- Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform.
- Capacity Building and Technology Innovation.
- Power System Planning and Operation.
- Embedded Generation in Distribution Networks.
- Municipal Energy Management.
ABOUT THE POSITION
SAGEN is looking to fill an Energy Technical Advisor position to support in the implementation of its Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform related projects and activities including support to the National Treasury Cities Support Programme (NT CSP).
The successful candidate will combine technical know-how with a strong track record of project management in a fast-paced, results-orientated, partner-focussed environment. Joining the GIZ SAGEN in its Pretoria office, you will:
- Understand and analyse partner needs and objectives in the context of the South African power sector reform and conceptualise and shape the direction of the related activities.
- Support the design and implementation of SAGEN activities related to the Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform.
- Build and maintain partnerships with key international and local stakeholders.
- Assist in maintaining the relationship and partnership between NT CSP and GIZ SAGEN including by providing technical assistance and implementation of the projects in the energy workstream under the NT CSP’s Climate and Resilience Component.
- Assist and facilitate the successful completion and project management of existing NT CSP projects, the conceptual design and implementation of new projects and a broad range of strategic support to NT CSP related to the energy sector.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 1 page) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of SAGEN. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality to email@example.com for the attention of Head of HR with the Subject Line: “Application for Energy Technical Advisor Position - SAGEN”.
Closing date for applications: 13 June 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description download below.