Senior Technical Advisor: Energy
Programme: South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)
Reports to: Programme Manager - SAGEN
Duration: Until 31 December 2024
Change is accelerating within power systems across the world. The main factors driving this transformation include the economic and political drive towards low-cost clean energy solutions, the acceleration of decentralised power generation technologies, increased digitalisation, and energy efficiency reaching across entire power systems. These changes are resulting in a structural shift in the way power systems and markets are set up and operated.
The South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN) collaborates with South African partners to manage this energy transition with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. SAGEN is funded by the German government and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in cooperation with the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), Eskom and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) under the government-to-government coordination of National Treasury (NT).
SAGEN’s support includes the following fields of activity towards the transformation of the South African energy sector:
- Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform.
- Capacity Building and Technology Innovation.
- Power System Planning and Operation.
- Embedded Generation in Distribution Networks.
- Municipal Energy Management.
ABOUT THE POSITION
SAGEN is looking to fill a Senior Technical Advisor: Energy position to inter alia manage and implement its Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform related projects and activities.
The successful candidate will combine excellent interpersonal skills and technical (including regulatory) know-how with a strong track record of project management in a fast-paced, results-orientated, partner-focussed environment. Joining the GIZ SAGEN in its Pretoria office, you will:
- support relevant stakeholders from the South African electricity sector in the successful implementation of the ongoing power sector reform and the associated updating of the regulatory frameworks and processes,
- be responsible for providing technical assistance and designing and implementing projects under the Energy Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform component; and
- maintain and strengthen the relationship and partnership between GIZ SAGEN and its key partners and actively link the SAGEN programme to the needs of the partner institutions.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Senior Technical Advisor: Energy is required to undertake inter alia the following tasks:
- Lead and manage existing and future GIZ SAGEN projects under the Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform Component.
- Provide technical advice in the framework of the GIZ SAGEN Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform project activities.
- Ensure timely delivery and quality of the project activities from planning to implementation.
- Proactively and independently identify strategic support and interventions required by relevant partner institutions and facilitating the implementation of corresponding support and interventions.
- Plan, implement and coordinate activities with other GIZ projects and diverse institutions and actively identify interfaces and synergies.
- Play an active link between GIZ SAGEN and its partners and work towards the achievement of the objectives and outputs of the GIZ SAGEN programme whilst cooperating with partner institutions and successfully implementing various energy projects.
- Establish and strengthen channels of collaboration and communication by building effective working relationships with relevant power sector stakeholders, including experts and policymakers.
- Drafting papers, notes, presentations and other relevant documentation and information regarding Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform.
- Plan, implement and coordinate activities with other projects and diverse institutions and actively identify interfaces and synergies.
- Coordinate, align with and manage other potential partner initiatives to enhance alignment e.g. IFC, ICLEI, DBSA, Worldbank, EU.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of SAGEN.
A detailed CV indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com with subject line
“Application for Senior Technical Advisor Energy under the South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)” for the attention of Head of HR.
Closing date for applications: 14 October 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!