C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF) Climate Change Adaptation Senior Technical Advisor
Reports to: Project Lead
Duration: Until - 31 March 2024 (option of extension)
The C40 Cities Finance Facility (CFF) is a programme funded by the Governments of Germany, United Kingdom and France and is jointly implemented by the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The overall objective of the CFF is to provide project preparation support to selected C40 cities in developing and emerging countries to technically prepare and financially structure sustainable low carbon and climate resilience infrastructure projects.
In South Africa, the CFF has established a partnership with the City of Cape Town as well as Drakenstein Municipality to support the City administration in the project preparation process for a city-wide project looking at green infrastructure options for improved waterway and catchment management. For this, the CFF will support the City and the Municipality to technically prepare the projects and develop a business case to prove the financial viability for using nature-based solutions instead of, or as a hybrid with, grey infrastructure.
For this work the CFF is looking for a Senior Technical Advisor to support the CFF, the City of Cape Town and Drakenstein Municipality in bringing these projects to feasibility and bankability stage.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Advisor will support the CFF, the Bulk Services (Water and Sanitation) Department and the Environmental Management Department in Cape Town as well respective departments in Drakenstein. The assignment includes, e.g.:
- Building effective working relationships between CFF and above-mentioned departments
- Supporting these departments to identify technical assistance and training needs required to bring the project to bankability stage
- Translating identified needs into Terms of References (ToRs) for the procurement of national/international technical consultants
- Support GIZ in the procurement of consultants and supervise the delivery of consultancy services on a day-to-day basis (incl. quality control of deliverables, technical backstopping)
- Ensure the effective implementation of technical assistance and training activities and report periodically on the progress
- Actively steer and support knowledge exchange between the municipalities and beyond
- The Advisor will be based in the City of Cape Town’s and/or Drakenstein Municipality offices. He/she will report to the CFF Operations Team in Germany. He/she will ensure that the respective departments are in the driving seats of the projects and her/his role will be that of an external advisor, empowering City officials to deliver the project.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCES AND EXPERIENCES
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning/Management, Economics, Climate Change, Civil Engineering, or Environmental Studies or a related field.
- Professional Experience:
- Five (5) years of experience of working in or with public administrations and a thorough understanding of the structures and processes of South African municipal governments and their administrations.
- Ten (ten) years of experience of working in the field of climate change adaptation, flood management, green infrastructure, or nature-based catchment solutions in urban areas.
- Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies
- Proven working experience in project development and in the field of financing urban infrastructure, ideally in the area of climate change;
- Strong understanding of the national, provincial and local context including political situation, rules and regulations, stakeholders and institutions relevant for the projects;
- Experience in commissioning and supervising external consultancy services;
- Solid network of contacts, stakeholder engagement and management experience, and excellent communication skills;
This position is based at City of Cape Town and/or Drakenstein Municipality.
The contract period for this position is until 31 March 2024 (potential of extension exists)
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- A motivation letter (max. 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred candidate and the value added they will bring to the project.
- A detailed CV indicating their nationality
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application for CFF Adaptation Advisor” for the attention of Head of HR.
Closing date for applications: 30 October 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!