Senior Technical Advisor x2
Just Transition to a Decarbonised Economy for South Africa (JUST SA) Project
Reports to: Just SA Project Manager
Duration: Until 28 February 2026 (with possibility of extension)
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is leading the Just Transition to a Decarbonised Economy for South Africa (JUST SA) consortium, comprising five local implementing partners: GreenCape, TIPS, NBI, WWF and Yes4Youth. The 5-year JUST SA project is commissioned through the International Climate Initiative (IKI) by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
JUST SA supports the implementation of pathways towards a Just Transition in South Africa towards an environmentally sustainable, climate-change resilient, low-carbon economy and just society. At the national level, the project supports the multi-level stakeholder dialogue set up by the South African Presidential Climate Commission (PCC) on Just Transition, ensuring an inclusive and results-oriented process. At the regional level, JUST SA assists the Mpumalanga provincial government in formulating a concrete, sustainable and just green economy transition plan for a diversified regional economy, which covers skills pathways development and finance mechanisms. At the local level, the project plans, pilots and scales up action in selected municipalities of Mpumalanga and incentivises private sector action. Furthermore, mine rehabilitation is addressed with a focus on mine water treatment through research, policy implementation and community engagement. Lessons learnt are fed back into the dialogue process. The overall project aims to achieve the following impact:
- Introduce a degree of diversification to the provincial economy;
- Establish green economy activity in the provincial economy;
- Direct and indirect job creation due to the development of new value chains in the region and in other parts of the country;
- Re-alignment of skills development, education and training to support green economy opportunities;
- Clean, reliable and affordable energy supply.
Against this background the JUST SA project is looking for Two (2) Senior Technical Advisors.
- The Senior Technical Advisors are expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Independently support the strategic development of policy advisory services for the project’s main political partner South African Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE) and other relevant institutions/political and implementing partners.
- Liaison to relevant stakeholders and relevant projects in South Africa to build better cohesion amongst different stakeholders and projects in the Just Transition domain with the aim of developing a common vision for achieving a Just Transition.
- Track ongoing processes around Just Transition in Coal Regions in South Africa, especially Mpumalanga, related to financing and managing a Just Transition in the country.
- Project management and coordination of project measures.
- Support the coordination of work packages and monitoring & evaluation requirements of the broader project.
- Tasks required for project implementation, including research, establishment of baselines, monitoring of progress and impacts, and technical contributions.
- Manage advisory work by consultants including preparation of procurement documents (e.g., ToRs); conduct the procurement process, provide technical oversight of implementation and quality assurance of deliverables.
- Independently plan and implement consultations, meetings, workshops with various stakeholder, as well as ensure knowledge management of proceedings.
- Elaboration of knowledge products on Just Transition, such as technical policy briefs on Just Transition policies, fact sheets outlining the current Just Transition environments as well as latest developments and case studies.
- Support in coordination with the JUST SA Project manager, the German Embassy, and other delegations in South Africa for policy dialogues on green economy/ Just (Energy) Transition coal phase-out on country level / with target regions.
- Other tasks as needed in coordination with the Just SA Project Manager.
B. GENERAL OBLIGATIONS
The Senior Technical Advisors are expected to fulfil the following general obligations:
- Become familiar with other programmes and GIZ / IKI measures, concepts and status of implementation.
- Access to relevant network in South Africa for the green economy / sustainable finance field as well as Just (Energy) Transition (in coal regions).
- Represent the interest of the JUST SA project, GIZ (in cooperation with GreenCape, TIPS, NBI, WWF, YES4Youth), and BMWK in a professional way in close coordination with the JUST SA Project Manager.
- Hold regular exchange with the IKI JUST SA consortium partners.
- The employee must be prepared to travel nationally and internationally
C. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCES AND EXPERIENCE
- An Honours Degree (Masters’/MSc would be advantageous) in an area that is related to the programme objectives – e.g., Climate Change, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Energy (Efficiency), Finance/Economics, Business Administration and/or Engineering.
Professional/ Work Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in the management of regional economic transformation, climate change and sustainable finance projects in international cooperation, advisory or consulting services.
- Extensive knowledge of the green economy and Just (Energy) Transition landscape in South Africa.
- Sound knowledge of South African public and private sector landscape in relation to Just (Energy) Transition, green economy and climate change.
- Knowledge in two or more of the following fields: inclusive green economy, circular economy, sustainable infrastructure, green finance, regional economic development, coal economy / mining, energy transition, social security, labour market policies, green jobs and/or green fiscal policy.
- Proven experience in managing and conducting multi-stakeholder engagement sessions of diverse nature.
- Experience in working with local, provincial or national government in South Africa.
- Proven network in South Africa in the area of green economy, Just (Energy) Transition, climate change and/or sustainable finance.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills, verbal and written; proven track record of drafting and editing complex knowledge and communication materials as required.
- Demonstrated experience of working in a team environment.
Other Knowledge, Additional Competences:
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to climate change related impacts as well as social and environmental challenges in South Africa.
- Good networker, ideally already providing an existing network of relevant stakeholders in the field inclusive green economy, Just (Energy) Transition, circular economy, sustainable infrastructure, green finance, green jobs, green value chains and/or green fiscal policy;
- Ability to work independently to approach tasks pro-actively and provide results on time.
- Ability and willingness to acquire knowledge and quickly master new topics.
- Good ability to write and edit reports and ideally experience in media/communication work.
- Very good practical knowledge of Microsoft 365 office tools.
- Ability to facilitate workshops and events.
- Valid driving license.
D. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- The position will be based in Hatfield Pretoria.
- The contract period for this position is until 28 February 2026 in line with the commissioning in line with the current commissioning period of the Project (with possibility of extension).
E. APPLICATION PROCESS
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (concisely 1 page) detailing stating why they should be the preferred candidate. This should be accompanied by a CV, desired salary range and indicating their nationality to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application for JUST SA STA Role” for the attention of Head of Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: 31st of January 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!