Senior Technical Advisor: Energy to National Treasury under the South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)
Reports to: Programme Manager - SAGEN
Duration: Until 31 December 2024
Change is accelerating within power systems across the world. The main factors driving this transformation include the economic and political drive towards low-cost clean energy solutions, the acceleration of decentralised power generation technologies, increased digitalisation, and energy efficiency reaching across entire power systems. These changes are resulting in a structural shift in the way power systems and markets are set up and operated.
The South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN) collaborate with South African partners to manage the energy transition with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. SAGEN is funded by the German government and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in cooperation with the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), Eskom and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) under the government-to-government coordination of National Treasury (NT).
SAGEN’s support includes the following fields of activity towards the transformation of the South African energy sector:
- Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform.
- Capacity Building and Technology Innovation.
- Power System Planning and Operation.
- Embedded Generation in Distribution Networks.
- Municipal Energy Management.
ABOUT THE POSITION
SAGEN is looking to fill a Senior Technical Advisor: Energy position to be seconded to the National Treasury Cities Support Programme (NT CSP) to inter alia manage and implement energy related projects and activities in particular related to sustainable municipal energy businesses.
The successful candidate will join the NT CSP team as secondee of GIZ SAGEN in the National Treasury’s Pretoria office combine excellent interpersonal skills and technical (including regulatory) know-how with a strong track record of project management in a fast-paced and results-orientated environment, partner-focused environment:
- assist National Treasury to support the transition to sustainability within the metro and broader electricity distribution sector;
- be responsible for providing technical assistance and for implementation of the projects in the energy workstream under the NT CSP’s Climate and Sustainability Component;
- ensure the successful completion and project management of existing NT CSP projects, the conceptual design and implementation of new projects and a broad range of strategic support to NT CSP related to the energy sector; and
- manage and maintain the relationship and partnership between NT CSP and GIZ SAGEN and actively linking the SAGEN programme to the needs of the relevant units in National Treasury.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- A motivation letter (max. 2 pages) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of SAGEN and the NT CSP.
- A detailed CV indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application for Senior Technical Advisor: Energy to National Treasury under the South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)” for the attention of Head of HR.
Closing date for applications: 10 February 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description below.