Technical Advisor: Energy Efficieny South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN IV)
Reports to: Head of Component: Energy Efficiency
Duration: Until 31 December 2024
The South African German Energy Programme (SAGEN), implemented by GIZ wishes to employ a Technical Advisor to be based at the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, Pretoria. The Technical Advisor will be employed in South African German Energy Programme until December 2024.
The South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN); funded by the German Government and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in cooperation with the Department of Mineral Resources & Energy (DMRE) supports renewable and energy efficiency stakeholders to maximize the opportunities presented by the energy sector. SAGEN focusses on renewable energy and energy efficiency and aims to maximize investment in these sectors. In renewable energy the work centers on improving grid access and stability in the light of more large-scale renewable energy plants being connected to the grid, as well as support to increase high quality rooftop photovoltaic installations. In energy efficiency, SAGEN works closely with the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE) to ensure that municipalities and other role-players implement energy efficient measures to reduce electricity consumption as well as greenhouse gas emissions.
Activities in energy efficiency include:
- Support to municipalities on the implementation of Municipal Energy Management System (MEMS).
- Collaboration with municipalities to implement energy efficiency measures and technologies to reduce municipal consumption of electricity.
- Support to municipalities to invest in more energy efficient technologies.
- Provide dedicated support to DMRE and SANEDI on the roll-out of energy performance certificates (EPC’s) for public and privately owned buildings.
The Technical Advisor is expected to lead and support SAGEN’s energy efficiency initiatives with the DMRE; Lead the implementation of SAGEN’s support activities to the DMRE’s EEDSM programme; Lead the implementation of the second-phase of SECO funded energy efficient streetlighting retrofit project (EEStLRP) activities, including the coordination of SAGEN’s support activities to the LED Demonstration Walkway project; and to coordinate SAGEN’s support activities to the South African National Energy Institute (SANEDI). In Addition, the Technical Advisor will support the coordination of the Municipal Energy Management Systems (MEMS) activities and ensure alignment with other activities such as the EEDSM.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technical Advisor, is expected to take the following tasks:
Lead the implementation of SAGEN’s support activities to the DMRE’s EEDSM programme:
1. Lead the provision of technical support to the municipal Energy Efficiency and Demand-Side Management programme. This includes the review and improvement of monitoring and evaluation tools; contribute the application of these tools to improve the overall monitoring and evaluation of the programme and impact demonstration; and support data collection and analysis for reporting purposes.
- Support EEDSM municipalities in ensuring compliance to the conditions set out in the Division of Revenue Act and to successfully complete planned projects. This will include undertaking site visits, monitoring their monthly and quarterly reports, identifying project risks, and proposing remedial interventions.
- Support the execution of the action plans for the implementation of the procurement framework for the EEDSM programme.
- Conceptualise and support the integration of best practices from aligned programmes into the EEDSM, i.e., MEMS and EEPBIP, in order to improve the performance and the sustainability of the programme.
2. Lead the implementation of SECO co-funded Energy Efficient Streetlighting Retrofit Project (EEStLRP) activities, including the LED Demonstration Walkway project. This includes but not limited to:
- Conceptualise and undertake consultations with project partners on EEStLRP follow-up activities. Ensure alignment of EEStLRP activities with the DMRE’s EEDSM programme and other relevant energy efficiency initiatives.
- Coordinate the hand-over activities and events for the work done under the EEStLRP.
- Support the preparation of bi-annual progress reports and Close-out reports to SECO.
3. Lead SAGEN’s support to SANEDI energy efficiency activities
- Support SANEDI’s energy efficiency activities.
- Work with SANEDI to improve and create awareness on the SANEDI Energy Efficiency Lighting tool (SEEL).
- Work with SANEDI and the DMRE to conceptualise and implement GIZ support activities to the Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) programme.
GIZ South Africa, Lesotho and eSwatini will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- Cover / Motivation Letter (concisely 2 pages) clearly stating your motivation for applying for the position and outline your competencies why you are the best suited candidate addressing qualifications, competencies and experiences asked for in this advert as well as salary range expectation.
- This should be accompanied by a detailed CV desired salary range and indicating their nationality. The CV must include at least two professional references of current or previous employment.
Applications should be only on PDF file, compromising of Cover / Motivation Letter and CV to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application for Technical Advisor: Energy Efficiency” for the attention of Head of Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: 14 April 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for the interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover/Motivation letter will not be considered!
Only South African residency or Permanent Residency will be considered.
Full job description download below.