Climate Change and Biodiversity Technical Advisor
Reports to: Component Manager CSP IV
Duration: Until – 31 December 2026
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The Climate Support Programme (CSP) funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) is supporting the Department of Forestry, Fisheries, and the Environment, (DFFE) in developing and implementing climate change policy. Areas of technical and financial support include the topics of adaptation to the adverse effects of climate change, mitigation of greenhouse gases, monitoring and evaluation, Climate Change Response Support Programmes (Implementation of Climate Action) as well as Climate Policy and Governance. Additional areas of support include the climate change and biodiversity nexus where there are clear synergies for boosting climate change benefits and biodiversity benefits. The CSP contributes to a cluster of climate change projects in GIZ by providing technical guidance and advise on cross cutting topics like the climate change and biodiversity nexus.
The focus of the position is in the area of climate change policy with a focus on adaptation to climate change as well as biodiversity with cross-sectional tasks implementation of climate and biodiversity, as well as in relevant Regional and Global Project service packages, IKI Small Grants country support and general topic integration across the Climate Cluster.
The Technical Advisor is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Strategic and technical advice to DFFE on the conceptualisation of projects, development and implementation of adaptation, biodiversity and Eco-System based Adptation (EbA);
- Independent management, oversight and quality assurance of consulting companies, as well as support to Junior advisors / new colleagues in setting up relevant structures for managing consulting companies;
- Independently undertake and fulfil technical tasks related to the climate change and/or biodiversity policy development, institutional support and means of implementation;
- Support the Climate Support Programme´s outputs concerning the IKI interface function and climate change and biodiversity (incl. Nature based Solutions (NbS) and relevant Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework emerging topics) dialogue;
- Independently plan and implement consultations and meetings with various stakeholders, as well as ensure knowledge management of proceedings;
- Implement knowledge and information management for adaptation, natural resource management, landscape management, EbA, NbS, Biodiversity and relevant thematic areas;
- Support the development private sector mobilisation for resilience, EbA/Biodiversity finance;
- In consultation with Head of component be a formal member of the SA National EbA CoP Steering Committee;
- Focal Point for EbA and Biodiversity, as it relates to relevant sectors and emerging economic opportunities (for example, the blue carbon economy).
- Prepare under minimal supervision Briefing documents for BMUV/BMWK/BMZ/AA as per Cluster Coordinator/ Head of Component’s requests;
- Support Cluster Coordinator and/or Head of Component in developing new project ideas for German (IKI, BMZ, etc.) and international (GCF, WBG, etc.) funding streams for the Climate Cluster;
- Other tasks as may be required.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
A motivation letter (maximum1 page) stating why they should be the preferred candidate, the value added they will bring to the project and their desired salary range.
This should be accompanied by a detailed CV and indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com, with the email subject line “Application for CSP Climate Change and Biodiversity TA Role” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Closing date for applications 18 May 2023
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description below.