Internship: South African - German Energy Partnership
Reports to: Head of Secretariat: South African-German Energy Partnership
Duration: 01 July until 31 December 2023 (Six (6) Months)
The South African - German Energy Partnership is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) in cooperation with the South African National Department of Mineral Resources & Energy (DMRE). The Energy Partnership was established by both countries in 2013 in order to join forces and mutual profit from each other’s experiences, expertise and lessons learnt It complements the ongoing successful cooperation- and dialogue-programs in the energy. It complements the ongoing successful cooperation- and dialogue-programs in the energy sector between both countries. The Energy Partnership aims at developing sustainable and country-specific solutions for dealing with the opportunities and challenges involved in the transition to clean energy.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) hosts the Secretariat of the Energy Partnership with a coordination function and follows-up the implementation plan of the partnership.
Both countries pursue the following objectives:
- Establishing an intergovernmental dialogue on effective and efficient policy solutions for a secure, environmentally friendly, and economically successful energy system.
- Implementing joint cooperation projects to put sustainable energy solutions into practice.
- Cooperating closely with the private sector of both countries by considering energy companies’ perspectives on policy matters and by using their technical expertise and experience.
- Creating synergies between ongoing bilateral energy cooperation projects.
Against this backdrop, the Energy Partnership wishes to employ an intern for a period of six months from 01 July – 30 December 2023. The intention is to expose the intern to the work environment that spans across focus topics, events management, and general skills such as research, report writing, communication and teamwork.
Main Outputs for the Internship:
- The intern will be providing technical and administrative support in the implementation of the Energy Partnership policy dialogue with particular focus on six thematic topics namely, energy storage, energy efficiency, just transition, green hydrogen, digitalisation and flexibility of energy systems. The tasks will therefore comprise of support to the following activities, but not limited to:
- Support the implementation of the thematic topics by conducting secondary research on any of the topics in support of delivering on the 2023 Operational Plan and the continuity of the Energy Partnership.
- Provide events management support to the activities of the Energy Partnership that aim at advancing the policy dialogue and cooperation with the private sector, civil society and academia.
- Contribute to the communications work of the Energy Partnership:
- Support the implementation of the Communication Strategy.
- Prepare posts for social media (Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Preparation of briefing reports on the energy market of South Africa.
- Conducting and supporting activities as and when required.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
A motivation letter (concisely 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred
candidate, the value added they will bring to the SAGEN Cluster project and their desired salary range.
This should be accompanied by a detailed CV and indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject line “Application for Internship” for the attention of Head of Human Resource
Closing date for applications: 30 May 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!