African Union Development Agency: Africa Policy Bridge Tank Programme – Senior Technical Advisor
Project: Africa Policy Bridge Tank Programme (APBT)
Reports to: Portfolio Coordinator AUDA-NEPAD, Programme Director GIZ “Knowledge for Transformation
Duration: Until – 30 June 2025
Since 2004, GIZ has been a reliable and trusted partner of the African Union (AU) to enhance inclusive growth and sustainable development on the African continent in line with the AU’s Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want. With more than 200 staff, GIZ African Union cooperates with the AU Commission, as well as the AU’s specialised institutions and agencies, such as the Development Agency AUDA-NEPAD, at continental, regional and national level in more than 35 member states. Key areas of engagement include Peacebuilding and Conflict Prevention, Governance and Migration, Sustainable Economic Growth and Employment, as well as Health and Social Development.
Mandated with coordinating and executing priority projects towards the realisation of Agenda 2063, AUDA-NEPAD strives to become Africa’s leading development agency. As a long-standing partner, GIZ has supported AUDA-NEPAD in its mission to provide African-led development by African actors. GIZ’s portfolio with AUDA-NEPAD encompasses a variety of programmes/projects, including infrastructure development, digitalisation, TVET, energy, health, and institutional capacity development. GIZ’s Knowledge for Transformation (K4T) Programme is a Berlin-based regional project which seeks to enhance the knowledge to policy transfer particularly with respect to Africa’s economic transformation. In addition to several cooperations with Pan-African Think Tanks, GIZ’s K4T is supporting the institutional capacity strengthening of AUDA-NEPAD’s Africa Policy Bridge Tank Programme (APBT).
The APBT seeks to bridge the gap between knowledge and policy and to engage African Think Tanks in identifying and addressing continental and regional challenges towards Africa’s knowledge transformation. The Programme was established, initially as a strategic initiative, with the goal of helping to translate African research outputs and connect knowledge to decision-making to build a strong and interlinked African-driven science, research, and policy space. The APBT is currently integrated in the Economic Analysis and Foresight Unit within the Directorate for Industrialization and Markets of AUDA-NEPAD. The premises of AUDA-NEPAD are based in Midrand, South Africa.
GIZ is seeking a highly qualified expert to support the APBT in the pursuit of its goal of bridging evidence and policy on the continent with a view to fast-track the implementation of Agenda 2063. The position is estimated to comprise approximately 70% management support to the APBT strategic steering and implementation and 30% support in providing inputs into relevant research products and advising on appropriate evidence inputs for on-demand support by the APBT.
1. Project Management
- Support the responsible AUDA-NEPAD staff in the coordination and the conceptualization, planning and implementation of Policy Bridge Tank programme.
- Provide support in the alignment of the Policy Bridge Tank Programme delivery with other initiatives, projects and programmes within AUDA-NEPAD and the AU Systems.
- Strengthen networks and exchanges between African Think Tanks and Member State Officials and AUDA-NEPAD programmes to promote the uptake of African knowledge to deliver on science-policy-practice nexus.
- Strengthen work and joint engagements with the Policy Bridge Tank Technical Advisory Group (TAG) members and their organisations to benefit from the expert knowledge, experience, and available research outputs.
- Prepare inputs for budgets, performance parameters and indicators, programme performance reports and inputs for results-based budgeting and results-based management.
- Identify technical assistance needs for capacity building and work with Economic Analysis and Foresight Unit to develop sustainable strategies to strengthen the capacity of Member States and Think Tanks.
- Support and guide external consultants, interact with stakeholders at appropriate level in relation to Think Tanks and Academia.
- Provide strategic and technical input for resource mobilisation for the Programme.
- Organize meetings, trainings, conferences, and workshops for Think Tanks benefitting from the Programme as per the ABPT work plan.
- Support the ABPT in ensuring compliant project expenditures and utilization of funds particularly vis-à-vis GIZ’s K4T programme grant.
- Collaborate with research and advocacy organizations committed to the development of national policies through evidence-based research and analysis to strengthen collective influence in the policy development processes of national and regional development institutions and bodies.
- Use evidence-based research to shape and influence policy formulation in the region. Disseminate research findings through workshops, seminars, publications, and social media.
- Share information and best practice to support countries’ research and advocacy processes.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- A motivation letter (maximum 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred candidate, the value added they will bring to the project and their desired salary range.
- This should be accompanied by a detailed CV, indicating their eligibility to work in South Africa.
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com, with the email subject line “Application for APBT STA Role” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability.
Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Closing date for applications 23 June 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!