CSP Technical Advisor (JET IP PMU- Just Transition Manager )
Salary Band 4: Technical Advisor Seconded to the Just Energy Transition Investment Plan Project Management Unit in the Presidency (JET IP PMU) as a Just Transition Manager
Reports to: Project Manager Climate Support Programme (CSP) and Head JET IP PMU
Duration: Until – 31 December 2024
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The GIZ implemented Climate Support Programme (CSP), funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) is supporting the Just Energy Transition Investment Plan Project Management Unit in the Presidency (JET IP PMU) in their work.
South Africa presented the Just Energy Transition Investment Plan (JET-IP) in late 2022 which builds on the $8.5-billion Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP) concluded with the European Union, France, Germany, the UK and the US in 2021. The JETP was viewed as providing catalytic funding for a far larger $99-billion, or R1.5-trillion, five-year investment programme, the JET-IP.
TASKS - see full job description download below...
The Just Transition Manager is responsible for the following:
- Building a Portfolio of programmes and projects with stakeholders and financiers to drive implementation of the Just Transition (JT) elements of the Just Energy Transition Investment Plan (JET IP).
- Supporting the development of institutional capacities and governance needed to deliver successful JT programmes and projects.
- Working collaboratively with public sector, private sector, and civil society organisations to identify JT opportunities and mobilise suitable investments.
- Working collaboratively with JET IP infrastructure programmes to optimise their socio-economic development and environmental outcomes.
- Building consensus across Government and stakeholders on the JT Portfolio.
- Problem solving in relation to challenges that arise during JT project development and implementation.
- Tracking and reporting on the performance of the JT Portfolio.
- Incorporating the results of ongoing local and international research on the JT into Portfolio improvements.
- As part of JET IP Monitoring & Evaluation, ensure that JT evaluations are designed and executed using best practise and that learnings are incorporated into continuous improvement.
- Other tasks as may be required.
The selected candidate will disciplinarily report to the CSP Programme Manager. Day to day business and content-items should be directly reported to the Head of JET IP PMU.
GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- Cover Letter (concisely 1 page) clearly stating your motivation for applying for the position and as well as salary range expectation.
- A detailed CV.
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID).
The application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following email subject line “CSP (JET IP PMU) Technical Advisor Application” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 08 September 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!