Senior Technical Advisor Climate Action and Sustainable Finance
Reports to: Component Manager CSP IV
Duty Station: Hatfield, Pretoria
Duration: 01 November 2023 – November 2026
Salary Band 4T
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The Climate Support Programme (CSP) funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) is supporting the Department of Forestry, Fisheries, and the Environment, (DFFE) in developing and implementing climate change policy. Areas of technical and financial support include the topics of adaptation to the adverse effects of climate change, mitigation of greenhouse gases, monitoring and evaluation, Climate Changes Response Support Programmes (Implementation of Climate Action) as well as Climate Policy and Governance.
The advertised position is oriented at the phase IV of the Climate Support Programme until October 2025. The focus of the position will lie within the areas project pipeline creation and sustainable/green up-scalability approaches. In addition to that sustainable finance and private sector engagement will be considered.
RESPONSIBILITIES (see full job description download below)
The Sustainable Finance Senior Technical is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Technical and strategic advice to DFFE and other relevant partner institutions on climate change related projects and finance tools
- Application of concepts for climate/green finance mobilisation to support the implementation of investment aligned to SA’s NDC and its 2050 long-term strategy.
- Identify suitable sustainable finance tools for applicability to support SA NDC project pipeline creation and implementation.
- Technical advisory and project management of consulting projects and other tasks required for project implementation, including research, application of financial instruments, general support, and technical contributions.
- Preparation of terms of reference for consultants, manage procurement processes, ensure management and technical oversight of consultants appointed and quality assurance of deliverables submitted.
- Development of concept notes and project proposals for sourcing funding for identified projects within the overall Climate Cluster.
- Policy guidance and support to the Climate Cluster on emerging trends (locally and internationally) in climate/sustainable finance policies and related frameworks.
- Plan and arrange meetings, workshops and keep record of proceedings.
- Coordinate, align with and manage other potential partner initiatives to enhance alignment e.g., IFC, BASA, WBG, DBSA, private sector representatives.
- Support the Climate Cluster Management Team in Portfolio Development and acquisition processes.
GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a:
- Cover Letter (concisely 1 page) clearly stating your motivation for applying for the position and as well as salary range expectation.
- A detailed CV.
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID).
The application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following email subject line “Senior Technical Advisor: Climate Action and Sustainable Finance” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 26 September 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!