Job Advert - Technical Advisor Focus Infrastructure and Investment Promotion Secondment to H2.SA Partners
Reports to: Component Leader – H2.SA
Duty Station: Hatfield, Pretoria
Duration: until 31 December 2025
Green hydrogen (GH2) will be one of the key energy carriers of the future and the basis for a variety of Power-to-X (PtX) products like green ammonia and sustainable aviation fuels (SAF). Worldwide, investments are already increasing skyrocketing and the future global demand could be up to 500 million metric tons per year. For South Africa, with its outstanding potential of renewable energy sources and existing hydrogen production facilities, it will be a key component to decarbonize the production of domestic industries like mining, steel, manufacturing and ensure their future growth. At the same time, South Africa will benefit from the global demand and has the chance to become a major exporter of GH2 and PtX products. GH2 offers significant economic development and job creation and plays an integral role in supporting a just transition in the South African energy sector.
An essential pre-condition for GH2/PtX market development is the massive expansion of low-cost renewable energy (RE) capacities, the establishment of favorable political and regulatory framework conditions, the mobilization of foreign investment and a far-reaching capacity building and skills development initiative.
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and in close cooperation with the South African government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the programme H2.SA with the aim “to promote a green hydrogen economy in South Africa”.
The programme has four components:
In the first 3-6 months, the Technical Advisor will work within all 4 components of H2.SA to gain a general overview of the programme. After that, the Technical Advisor will support the activities in components 1 and 2 and will work closely with counterparts within the Investment and Infrastructure Office (IIO) under the South African Presidency and within Infrastructure South Africa (ISA) under the Department of Public Works and Infrastructure (DPWI).
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: see the full job description download below
The Technical Advisor has the following key tasks and responsibilities:
- Support the coordination and implementation of activities focusing on the promotion of a GH2 economy in South Africa;
- Support intergovernmental coordination for the development of adequate strategies, policies and regulatory framework conditions;
- Support the development of programmes and activities for investment promotion and infrastructure development;
- Organise and coordinate regular meetings of the Green Hydrogen Task Force lead by The Presidency;
- Support the preparation and organisation of the annual South African Green Hydrogen Summit;
- Support the implementation of communication and knowledge management activities, incl. the organisation of meetings, workshops, seminars, study tours, trainings and other means of information sharing among government decision-makers, industry representatives and other experts;
- Presentation, moderation and facilitation during meetings, workshops and events;
- General coordination and project management including reporting, operational planning, follow-up on activities, etc.;
- Contribute to the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) system by adding required information and preparing reporting inputs as required.
All tasks will be done under the supervision of the workstream 4 Component lead, and the H2.SA Programme Director.
Note that the list is not exhaustive and will be further developed.
GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a
- Cover Letter (concisely 2 pages) clearly stating your motivation for applying for the position and as well as salary range expectation.
- A detailed CV.
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID).
The application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following email subject line “Technical Advisor: Focus: Infrastructure and Investment Promotion (Secondment to H2.SA Partners” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 24 October 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!