Senior Technical Advisor – Trade Policy
Reports to: Project Manager - CESARE
Duration: 01 December 2023 to 31 August 2026
Salary Band 4T
The programme “Cooperation for Enhancement of SADC Regional Economic Integration (CESARE)” supports the Southern African Development Community (SADC) in promoting trade between its 16 Member States. As part of this, the trade component works with the SADC Secretariat in a variety of areas ranging from the elimination of non-tariff barriers (NTBs) to trade; support for negotiations on trade in services; trade facilitation measures and support to the SADC industrialization agenda including the development of regional value chains.
Starting in 2023, a new joint action “Lesotho economic growth, job creation and EPA implementation support programme” funded by the European Union and the German Development Cooperation will support work on regional value chains development. It will include the organization of public-private policy dialogues to articulate interests, remove barriers to investment, and to ensure the delivery of the required services from Government ministries and agencies bearing responsibility for the development of the selected value chains. This includes support for the development of a favorable policy environment to the extent it is needed. It will also explore both forward and backward linkages with other Member States within SADC to ensure that they are capacitated to create an enabling environment for private sector development in selected regional value chains and improved capacities of MSME’s to manage selected value chains within the framework of EPA. The two selected value chains are agro- processing (associated with natural products, cosmetics, herbs) and light industry (associated with goose, duck feathers and garments and bedding). In addition, digital services are set to be a supporting measure to the two mentioned value chains.
It is against this background that a Senior Trade Policy Advisor is sought after to join this exciting new project.
RESPONSIBILITIES - full job description download below
- Provides policy advisory services to public and private sector in Lesotho and selected Member States on implementation of regional and international trade agreements such as EPA, AfCFTA etc.
- Undertakes thorough policy assessment and analysis of key national instruments in Lesotho as well as other respective Member States within which backward and forward linkages of the identified sectors in the region will be explored.
- Coordination of public-private policy dialogues to articulate interests, remove barriers to investment, and to ensure the delivery of required services from Government ministries and agencies bearing responsibility for the development of the selected value chains.
- Manages short-term experts to undertake policy and regulatory related research as per Member States’ requests.
- Participates in technical meetings and provides technical input throughout the progression of the project.
- Advocates for strategic partnerships, best practices and policy dialogues in support of enhanced governance for the identified value chains.
- Interacts with relevant ministries, departments, and other relevant stakeholders to improve cross-sectorial policies and strategies concerning the identified value chains sector and sustainable development.
- Coordinates partnerships with non-government stakeholders, with civil society organisations, donors, farmers' organizations and the private sector, around specific policy issues.
GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a
- Motivation / Cover Letter must clearly articulate your motivation for applying for the position and outline your competencies why you are the best suited candidate addressing qualifications, competencies and experiences asked for in this advert as well as salary expectation. Cover Letter must not exceed two (2) pages to be submitted in PDF Format.
- CVs must include at least two professional references of current or previous employment including contact details and must not exceed four (4) pages to be submitted in PDF format.
- Candidates are expected to submit one PDF file, comprising Cover Letter & CV.
Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
The application should be submitted to: email@example.com, with the following email subject line “Senior Technical Advisor – Trade Policy” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 20 October 2023.
Interviews will be held in Lesotho, Maseru
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!