Finance Officer - H2.SA
Reports to: Senior Finance Manager
Duty Station: Hatfield, Pretoria
Duration: 01 January 2024 until 30 June 2024 (06 Months Contract)
Salary Band 4A
Green hydrogen (GH2) will be one of the key energy carriers of the future and the basis for a variety of Power-to-X (PtX) products like green ammonia and sustainable aviation fuels (SAF). Worldwide, investments are already increasing skyrocketing and the future global demand could be up to 500 million metric tons per year. For South Africa, with its outstanding potential of renewable energy sources and existing hydrogen production facilities, it will be a key component to decarbonize the production of domestic industries like mining, steel, manufacturing and ensure their future growth. At the same time, South Africa will benefit from the global demand and has the chance to become a major exporter of GH2 and PtX products. GH2 offers significant economic development and job creation and plays an integral role in supporting a just transition in the South African energy sector.
An essential pre-condition for GH2/PtX market development is the massive expansion of low-cost renewable energy (RE) capacities, the establishment of favorable political and regulatory framework conditions, the mobilization of foreign investment and a far-reaching capacity building and skills development initiative.
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and in close cooperation with the South African government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the programme H2.SA with the aim “to promote a green hydrogen economy in South Africa”.
The programme has four components:
While the position is advertised under the GH2 programme the Contracts and Finance Officer will form an integral part of the Energy Cluster Finance and Administration team.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (SEE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION BELOW)
Finance Officer is responsible for:
- Management and administration of Financing Arrangements, Service contracts and Procurement of Goods and Materials in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations
- Administration of the project finances
- The Contract and Finance Officer will work as part of the GIZ- SA Energy Cluster Finance and Administration team that includes the South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN), the Energy Partnership and the Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings and Infrastructure Project (EEPBIP), H2.SA, SAGEN-CET, PtX Pathways, and other global and Bilateral projects supported by the Energy Cluster portfolio.
GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a:
- Cover Letter (concisely 1 page) clearly stating your motivation for applying for the position and as well as salary range expectation.
- A detailed CV.
- Proof of eligibility to work in South Africa (copy of SA ID).
The application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following email subject line “Finance Officer” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 21 November 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!