Climate Change and Biodiversity Communications and Dialogue Intern
Reports to: Technical Communication Advisor
Duration: Six (6) Months
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South African Government in reaching its goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. The Climate Support Programme Phase 4 (CSP4), funded under the International Climate Initiative (IKI), a financing vehicle by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) is supporting the Department of Forestry, Fisheries, and the Environment (DFFE) in developing and implementing climate change policy. CSP4 supports the South African (SA) government in strengthening the mainstreaming and implementation of its climate and biodiversity policies. It contributes to SA's transition to a low-carbon economy and a climate-resilient society in line with the Vision 2050 in a just manner, while also ensuring biodiversity conservation. It builds on three pillars that are critical to contributing long-term impact, to...
The advertised position is oriented at strengthening the dialogue on climate change and biodiversity, with a focus on South Africa. The project supports political and thematic dialogues and exchanges between stakeholders in South Africa, Germany and beyond. The intern will be supporting the team as they work on various aspects related to the effective Communication and Dialogue of Climate Change and Biodiversity. Finally, activities on Climate Change awareness, learning and communication will be supported, and gender aspects mainstreamed. Youth involvement is another important area of support.
RESPONSIBILITIES - see full job description download below...
The Communications Intern is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct research on various topic/policy updates and pitch story (content ideas) for further development
- Draft and edit communication materials including press releases, blog posts and social media content
- Assist with monitoring and compiling media clips related to ongoing news items related to work / projects and share with team
- Maintain an editorial calendar together with the technical advisor for the communications team
- Provide administrative and research support as needed, including for service providers if and when needed
- Supporting website design and development and managing the updating of content
- Training team on use of the website and creating a user guide
- Attend meetings as part of the communications team for status updates and project planning
- Support with image bank – assist with updating and managing the image database: Links to be shared with team on a regular basis of any changes that have been made to any presentations
- Assist with event management of various events: opportunities to learn and understand / execute on certain deliverables
- Other activities related to this component will be discussed with the intern as they arise.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 1 page) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of CSP. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality with the job title quoted on the email subject line for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Applicants should submit application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 01 December 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!