Advisory Services to the Development of Indicators and Future Studies Division (DIFSD)
Title: Advisory Services to the Development of Indicators and Future Studies Division (DIFSD)
Commissioned by: Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (DED)
Financier: Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (DED)
Country: United Arab Emirates
Lead executing agency: Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (DED)
Overall term: 2010 to 2011
The Department of Indicators and Future Studies Division (DIFSD) desired to receive more information on methodologies used by the Ifo Institute in Munich for indicator development.
The project aimed to strengthen the institutional development of the DIFSD as a centre for the Emirate’s economic and social indicator system as well as for economic research and policy analysis within the Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development (DED).
In corporation with the Ifo Institute, GIZ assisted the DIFSD in
- The development as well as the continuous adaptation and enhancement of indicators analyzing, formulating and evaluating policies relating to macroeconomic stability, growth and a stable societal development
- Ensuring that data is collected by DED (public opinion polls, different sources such as Abu Dhabi Statistic Center, Ministry of Economy etc.)
- Building up DIFSD’ network within the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the federation of the UAE and internationally in the realms of economic and socio-economic indicators as well as statistics
- Building up excellent knowledge, technical proficiency and international contacts of the members of DIFSD within the four above-mentioned fields in order to guarantee for the long-term provision of sustainable high-quality services through this unit
In an introduction phase, GIZ and IFO guided DIFSD to construct a Composite Coincident Business Cycle Indicator.
- Defining the fields of interest and the related indicators
- Assessment of capacities available within DIFSD
- Creation of statistical and methodological foundations for the development of indicators
- Comprehensive plan of training and capacity development needs
- Training and visits to German Institutes
- Exchange with international partner institutions
- Implementation of the national cooperation strategy