Building a world which leaves no one behind: European Development Days 2019
This year´s European Development Days took place in Brussels on 18./19. June 2019. Organised by the European Commission, the European Development Days (EDD) bring the development community together each year to share ideas and experiences in ways that inspire new partnerships and innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges.
Under the main thread of ‘Addressing inequalities: Building a world which leaves no one behind ' the EDD 2019 agenda was framed around three major themes: Why inequalities matter for sustainable development, Understanding the structural causes of inequalities and Working better together through more effective policies to address inequalities.
As in previous years, GIZ shared its experiences and examples in diverse discussion panels and showcased them at stands in the Global Village. In addition, we contributed to labs of partners and our commissioning parties such as the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the EU.
This was also visible in the existing stands: Projects with EU-cofinancing and implementation with further partners such as the TVET Toolbox, Euroclima+ in Latin America or the programme Qudra to support refugees and host communities in Northern Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey shared insights into their work an approach. In addition, BMZ, KfW, Engagement Global and GIZ joined again forces at a joint cluster stand with the overall topic of digitalization. GIZ and BMZ for example presented a drone which delivered medicines to an remote island in Tanzania and the initiative "Make IT in Africa" which supports innovative start ups.
You can find all events and stands with GIZ/BMZ participation in the PDF overview below. The sessions were photographed and recorded. Please find below the links to the session´s podcasts.
- Session: Standing #RightByHer: Leaving no woman behind
- Session: Refugee integration through inclusive policies
- Session: Advancing businesses that empower the base of the pyramid
- Session: Gender equality = LGBTI equality?
- Session: Rural Revitalization: Addressing Inequalities
- Session: How fighting Corruption can strengthen Female Entrepreneurship
- Session: Energy for Refugees and Host Communities
- Session: Smart Villages: Road to Reduce territorial inequalities & bridge digital divide
- Session: Promoting Sustainable agriculture and Trade for Inclusive Growth
- Session: How projects from the Inequality Challenge support the fight against inequality