Investing in Nutrition: Partnering for Action
This 15 October, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the European Commission (EC) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) are extending invitations to celebrate the World Food Day (WFD) and discuss the cross-sectoral role of nutrition with a focus on obesity at local, national, EU and Global levels. The event takes place in Brussels at the European Parliament 15 October, 10:00 - 12:00.
The objective of the event is to celebrate the day and increase awareness of the nutritional crisis the world is facing.
The WFD 2019 is calling for action across sectors to make healthy and sustainable diets affordable and accessible to everyone. In this regard, increased supply and demand of healthy, balanced and sustainable foods can help to significantly advance in the fight against the current high levels of undernutrition and the increased prevalence of obesity.
This WFD event is organised under the auspices of the European Parliamentary Alliance on the Fight against Hunger, which brings together members from different nationalities, political groups and parliamentary committees.
Confirmed speakers are:
- Mr. Paolo de Castro, MEP
- Ms. Soraya Rodríguez Ramos , MEP
- Mr. Rodrigo de Lapuerta, FAO Liaison office
- Mr. Martin Hoppe, Head of division, Food and Nutrition Security, Global Food Policy, Fisheries, BMZ
- Ms. Kaisa Heikkilä, Chair of the Council Working Party for Development Cooperation, Permanent Representation of Finland to the European Union
- Mr. Viwanou Gnassounou, Assistant Secretary-General ACP-Secretariat Brussels
- Ms. Alzira Ferreira, Director of the WFP Office to the EU and Belgium, WFP
- Ms. Mella Frewen, Director General, FoodDrinkEurope
- Mr. Felix Phiri, SUN Focal Point Malawi
For more information on this year’s theme, participants are invited to visit the World Food Day page.