Technical Advisor: Power sector reform and Just Energy Transition under the South African – German Energy Programme (SAGEN)
Change is accelerating within power systems across the world. The main factors driving this transformation include the economic and political drive towards low-cost clean energy solutions, the acceleration of decentralised power generation technologies, increased digitalisation, and energy efficiency reaching across entire power systems. These changes are resulting in a structural shift in the way power systems and markets are set up and operated.
The South African-German Energy Programme (SAGEN) collaborates with South African partners to manage this energy transition with a focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. SAGEN is funded by the German government and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in cooperation with the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), Eskom and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) under the government-to-government coordination of National Treasury (NT).
SAGEN’s support includes the following fields of activity towards the transformation of the South African energy sector:
- Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform
- Capacity Building and Technology Innovation
- Power System Planning and Operation
- Embedded Generation in Distribution Networks
- Municipal Energy Management
- Promotion of renewable energies for green hydrogen / Power-to-X (PtX)
ABOUT THE POSITION
SAGEN is looking to fill a Technical Advisor position to support in the implementation of its Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform related projects and activities, including support to South Africa's Just Energy Transition.
The successful candidate will combine technical (including regulatory) know-how with a strong track record of project management in a fast-paced, results-orientated, partner-focussed environment.
Joining the GIZ-SAGEN team in the Pretoria office, you will:
- Analyse and understand partner needs and objectives in the context of the South African power sector reform and the Just Energy Transition and conceptualise and shape the direction of the related activities;
- Support the implementation of SAGEN activities related to these thematic fields and
- Build and maintain partnerships with key international and local stakeholders, e.g. the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), the National Regulator of South Africa (NERSA), Municipalities, Eskom, the private sector and associations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Technical Advisor: Power sector reform and Just Energy Transition is required to undertake inter alia the following tasks:
- Provide technical advice to partners on the Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform project activities, including activities to support a Just Energy Transition in South Africa;
- Assist in the planning and implementation of activities in the context of South Africa’s power sector reform (e.g. linked to Eskom's unbundling or to the establishment of an independent transmission system and market operator), incl. support to the successful coordination and completion of ongoing projects;
- Coordinate assignments of national and international consultants / consulting firms;
- Ensure delivery and quality of the project activities from planning to implementation;
- Coordinate with relevant partners on the topic of just energy transition and further strategic development of the topic to contribute to the future shaping of the SAGEN project portfolio;
- Plan, implement and coordinate activities with other GIZ projects and partner institutions and actively identify interfaces and synergies;
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation system of the Electricity Sector Policy and Regulation and Power Sector Reform project activities;
- Drafting papers, notes, presentations and other relevant documentation and information;
- Provide support to the conceptualisation, preparation, implementation and monitoring of events (such as workshops, seminars or study tours);
- Implement communication and knowledge management activities, as required.
This position is based at GIZ in Hatfield, Pretoria.
The contract period for this position is until 31 December 2023 in line with the commissioning period of the project.
For more information on GIZ-SAGEN, please visit our website: www.sagen.org.za.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of SAGEN-CET. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating your nationality with the job title quoted on the email subject line for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Internal Applicants and External Applicants: submit your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 31 December 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Download full job description and specifications below.