Regional Technical Advisor: Integrated Catchment Management (ICM)
Reports to: Programme Component Manager
Duration: Until 31 December 2023
The BMZ - financed programme “Transboundary Water Management in SADC” supports the implementation of regional strategies for Integrated Water Resource Management. In its fifth phase, the focus lies on supporting the national programme ReNOKA for Integrated Catchment Management (ICM) in Lesotho, which is co-financed by the European Union (EU). ReNOKA is a multi-stakeholder initiative that includes ministries, civil society and the private sector. The programme aims to develop capacities of Basotho stakeholders and implementing rehabilitation and prevention measures at catchment level.
Different approaches to integrated catchment planning and implementation have been followed in Lesotho in the past. The ICM programme is implementing a harmonised approach by piloting catchment planning processes at community, local council, and catchment management area levels. In parallel, national planning guidelines and financing mechanisms to fund implementation plans are being developed.
Decentralised ICM is coordinated from six catchment offices staffed by government ReNOKA catchment managers, GIZ regional technical advisors, and implementation partners. The regional teams support the establishment of ICM institutions, planning, implementation and monitoring in the six catchment management areas.
The ICM programme is looking for a Regional Technical Advisor - ICM to support the development and implementation of integrated catchment planning, implementation and monitoring processes in Lesotho.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Regional Technical Advisor - ICM will be based in Maseru and report to the Programme Component Manager, Catchment Planning and Implementation. The Advisor will refine and improve planning processes based on international experience and advise and support the regional teams with the development of ‘bankable’ and climate resilient integrated catchment management plans. The position requires a thorough understanding and field experience of IWRM / ICM planning and implementation at community and catchment levels.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Technical Advisor - ICM is required to undertake the following tasks:
- Refine and improve integrated catchment management planning processes
- Manage all processes related to the development of a national guideline for integrated catchment management planning and its application at different levels.
- Contribute to refinement and improvement of draft concepts and guidelines on catchment planning at community and catchment levels by introducing proven international or regional approaches that can be applied in the Lesotho context.
- Ensure the systematic integration of climate resilient and gender considerations in the catchment planning processes.
- Support alignment of community engagement and capacity building approaches with planning processes.
- Contribute to development of standard approaches and training modules on bio-physical and socio-economic situation assessments, transect walks, identification of issues and solutions, prioritising interventions, and compilation of implementation plans.
- Coordinate development of ‘bankable’ integrated catchment management plans
- Support capacity building of regional teams in conducting integrated planning through a combination of on-the-job coaching and training and conducting formal trainings on sub-steps of the planning process.
- Support service providers engaged in technical baseline studies needed for the development of integrated catchment management and development plans at catchment management area (CMA) level including the prioritization of (ecosystem-based) adaptation actions.
- Participate in and monitor development of integrated sub-catchment management action plans (“Local Council ICM Action Plans”). Review draft plans and provide advice to improve the quality of the plans and where necessary to adjust planning approaches.
- Monitor implementation of ICM action plans and document lessons learnt in the prioritization, design and implementation processes
- In consultation with partners, develop concepts for rapid implementation of priority catchment rehabilitation measures.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (concisely 1 page) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of ICM Programme. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality to: email@example.com with job title quoted on the email subject line “Regional Technical Advisor” for the attention of Head of Human Resources.
NB: Interviews will be held in Maseru, Lesotho
Applications from candidates with Natural Science Management and/or Integrated Water Resource Management and Climate Adaptation and Eco-System Based Adaptation experience in Africa are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications: 16 September 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!