Climate Cluster Financial Specialist
Reports to: Cluster Finance Manager
Duration: Until – 31 December 2024
Germany provides a visible and impactful contribution to support the South Africa Government in reaching it’s goals to tackle the challenge of climate change. Climate Change in South Africa is a highly dynamic topic, which includes a large spectrum of topics that each come with their own challenges but also opportunities. The area of our work is broadening as we tackle related areas such as biodiversity, water affairs but also cross-cutting matters such as gender, private sector engagement as well as involvement of the youth. Our portfolio is highly connected to the international agenda of climate change and biodiversity but also deeply rooted in local structures and capacities.
As Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH it is our role to navigate this terrain and provide value to our commissioning entities, which include mostly German Federal Ministries, but also to our partners in South Africa. Our partners entail Government Departments, the Climate Commission, Provinces, Municipalities, NGOs, Private Sector entities and many others. The GIZ Climate Cluster South Africa is thus made up of several bilateral and GloBe projects towards addressing climate change.
The Financial Specialist will work together with the cluster finance team under the direct technical supervision of the cluster finance manager. The Financial Specialist will be primarily responsible for financing processes i.e. grant agreements, financing agreements and local subsidies. S/he will also support in general financial administration, accounting, contract processes and have a stand in role for financial management.
i. Financial Processes and Accounting:
- Ensuring the quality checks of all invoices for services, consultants and logistics contracts, ensuring arithmetical correctness and completeness of required supporting documents in addition to compliance and adherence to GIZ financial regulations prior to approval processes.
- Support to monitor and replenish project cashflow in cluster bank account.
- Support in loading payments using online banking platform.
- Monitoring and checking of month end closures of the project accounting and balances through WINPACCS online.
- Assist in monitoring cluster open items i.e. receivables, payables and obligos and report to the cluster finance manager.
- Coordinate internal controls and support external audits – provide support in follow ups.
- Develop necessary monitoring tools for managing obligos.
- Report any financial related concerns without delays.
ii. Financing Arrangements
- Support technical advisors in preparing budgets for financing arrangements.
- In collaboration with the cluster finance manager, prepare and follow up on financing arrangements with country office and head office.
- Organize/participate in inception meetings and present GIZ financial processing requirements to grantees and service providers.
- Update the cluster on FAQs on financing arrangements during team meetings.
- Guide and support grantee on GIZ’s financial and administrative processes and rules.
- Check all accountability for financing arrangements and advise the recipient and cluster finance manager.
- Advise grantees on financial reporting guidelines and amendment processes where necessary.
- Point of contact during eligibility processes with the consultants and potential recipients.
- In collaboration with the cluster finance manager, liaise with the Head Office and Country Office where input is required before, during and after financing contracts.
- Responsible for periodic updates to the financing SOP.
- Develop and monitor grants for review by the cluster finance manager on a monthly basis.
- Ensure all financing audits are conducted as per contract in a timely manner.
iii. Financial Administration
- In close collaboration with the cluster finance manager, support the planning and monitoring of the annual cash flow and respective project budgets.
- Support in planning of annual spending projections and monthly updates.
- Support in ensuring relevant internal control recommendations are implemented.
The position will be based at the GIZ Offices in Hatfield, Pretoria.
The contract period for this position is until is until 31 December 2024.
Suitable candidates should apply for this position by submitting:
A motivation letter (max. 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred candidate, and
A detailed CV indicating their nationality
Applications should be submitted to: email@example.com with subject line “Application for Climate Cluster Financial Specialist” for the attention of the Head of Human Resources.
Closing date for applications: 18 November 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered.