Technical Advisor: International PtX Hub South Africa Focus: Green hydrogen & synthetic fuels in transport and industry
Reports to: Component Leader
Duration: Until 31 march 2025
To reach climate neutrality by 2050, we must transform our economies to operate emission-free fast. While 100 % renewable energy is key for this transformation, some industries and transport sectors cannot yet directly electrify to become climate neutral. Until they can, Power-to-X (PtX) and hydrogen are the missing link.
Green Hydrogen and PtX enables industries to produce anything historically dependent on fossil fuels with renewable electricity and non-fossil carbon. For example sustainable, climate neutral e-fuels and chemicals that can defossilise high-emissions industries, including the chemical, fertiliser, steel and cement industries, as well as aviation and maritime transport.
Due to the outstanding potential for renewable energy, vast PGM resources and experience in hydrogen and PtX production, South Africa is regarded as one of the main future suppliers of green hydrogen products. Building a green hydrogen and PtX economy could open-up promising new export markets for South African companies as well is domestic use opportunities. It can also lead to significant economic development and job creation and play a role in supporting a just transition in the South African energy sector.
As a part of the International Power-to- X Hub, Ptx Pathways (Enabling Long-Term Decarbonisation pathways through Power to X support the development of a sustainable PtX economy in South Africa (as well as as in Morocco and Argentina). Focus of the project is to tap the potential of a PtX economy to support South Africa’s Just Transition by creating new opportunities for the fossil based industry and to ensure a climate and economic efficient allocation of PtX product.
Learn more about the International ptX Hub at www.ptx-hub.org
The project cooperates closely with the hydrogen and energy projects in GIZ South Africa’s Energy Cluster.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technical Advisor has the following key tasks and responsibilities:
- Support the overall implementation of the project activities. This includes planning and coordination of all implementation activities, liaising with relevant stakeholders, supporting all procurement processes for goods and services to deliver the required outputs and ensure the fulfilment of programme objectives and indicators.
- Advisory of partners in South Africa (government, private and civil society).
- Planning, preparation and implementation of the development of concept for the production and use of PtX products especially in maritime transport and aviation
- Preparation and support of strategic cooperation with companies in the power-to-liquid and power-to-gas industry to develop sustainable PtX concepts
- Conceptualise and manage required inputs and activities in cooperation with relevant stakeholders.
- Preparation and support of national and international tenders and financing agreements.
- Plan advisory projects and initiatives and coordinate the implementation with external service providers, supervising and coordinating assignments of national and international consultancies.
- Manage the cooperation between stakeholders, support steering structures and provide input to partner dialogues.
- Implement communication and knowledge management activities, incl. the organisation of workshops, seminars, study tours and other means of information sharing among government decision-makers, industry representatives and other experts.
- The position will be based at the GIZ South Africa Office in Hatfield, Pretoria.
- Positions are dependent on the lifespan of the programme where they are located. The PtX Pathways project phase is until 31 March 2025.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting:
- A motivation letter (concisely 1 page) stating why they should be the preferred
candidate, the value added they will bring to the PtX Hub SA project and their desired salary range.
- This should be accompanied by a detailed CV and indicating their nationality.
Applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the email subject line “Application for Technical Advisor - PtX Pathways,” for the attention of Head of Human Resource.
Closing date for applications: 12 May 2023.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed!
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description download below...