GET.transform Policy Technical Advisor
Reports to: GET.transform and GET.invest Country Window Coordinator Lesotho
Duration: Until - June 2026
Universal access to modern and sustainable energy – a prerequisite for economic growth and poverty alleviation – is not yet achieved in Lesotho. Making use of the great potential for renewable energy and developing a corresponding conducive business environment and overcoming existing regulatory and financial challenges can pave the way to achieving SDG 7 including positive impacts on the environment, climate, and a green and resilient economy.
The Global Energy Transformation Programme (GET.pro), implemented by GIZ, is a European multi-donor platform delivering on international energy and climate goals. GET.pro in coordination with the EU Delegation in Maseru has designed a dedicated country window to support energy sector development in Lesotho over a period of three years.
To this end, two initiatives will be deployed in Lesotho: GET.transform providing technical assistance to the public sector on long-term energy planning, on- and off-grid regulation and market development as well as renewable energy grid integration. GET.invest mobilising investment in renewable energy by supporting project developers and companies towards investment readiness and linking them with suitable financiers.
GET.transform is looking to fill Policy Advisor position, to support the implementation and coordinate activities for GET.transform (public sector support) in Lesotho.
Further information: www.global-energy-transformation.eu; www.get-transform.eu and www.get-invest.eu.
CONTEXT OF ASSIGNMENT
GET.transform is looking to fill a Policy Advisor position to implement and coordinate activities to support public sector partner institutions such as the Ministry of Natural Resources, the Lesotho Electricity and Water Authority, the Lesotho Electricity Corporation, the Lesotho Electricity Generation Company, or others. The Policy Advisor will work under the supervision of the Country Window Coordinator for Lesotho and in close coordination with the EU-Delegation, the Lesotho government and other key stakeholders and will be a member of the highly motivated and agile global GET.pro team. The position provides the opportunity to undertake a highly impactful assignment, and the ability to network with multiple stakeholders in an exciting market environment. The position includes coordination with the GIZ South Africa where Lesotho forms part of the GIZ regional cluster.
The position is based in Maseru, Lesotho. There is the potential that the position is based at GIZ offices or at a partner institution’s offices (secondment). Travels within Lesotho, the South African Region and to Europe are foreseen.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Policy Advisor is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Identify needs of public sector partners in Lesotho and provide expert advisory to develop a strategy for addressing them.
- Deploying and coordinating GET.transform services, particularly on topics such as energy planning, regulation and market development (on- and/or off-grid), and renewable energy grid integration.
- Cooperating with GET.transform HQ to design and coordinate technical assistance assignments of international short-term and long-term expert consulting teams, and to align these activities with the GIZ Lesotho Climate, Water, Energy portfolio.
- Preparing and/or reviewing terms of reference for consulting assignments, reviewing outputs of consultants in line with GET.transform’s objectives.
- Organise events such as workshops, seminars and other means of information sharing among government decision-makers, industry representatives and other experts.
- Coordinate as required with other GIZ advisors in Lesotho and the GET.transform, GET.invest and overarching GET.pro global HQ team.
- Monitoring and evaluating project activities and impacts.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of Global Energy Transformation Programme (GET.pro). This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating work permission status in Lesotho with the subject line “Application for GET.transform TA role” for the attention of Head of Unit: Human Resource.
Internal and External Applicants: submit your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 09 June 2023
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications without a motivation letter will not be considered!
Full job description below…