Regional Senior Technical Advisor – ICM Implementation
Reports to: Component Manager
Duration: Until 31 December 2023 (With the possibility of an extension until March 2025)
Duty Station: Maseru, Lesotho
Project: Support to Integrated Catchment Management” project (ICM Action)
The BMZ - financed programme “Transboundary Water Management in SADC (TWM)” supports the implementation of regional strategies for Integrated Water Resource Management. As part of TWM the “Support to Integrated Catchment Management” project (ICM Action) is supporting the national programme ReNOKA for Integrated Catchment Management (ICM) in Lesotho, which is co-financed by the EU. ReNOKA is a multi-stakeholder initiative that includes ministries, civil society and the private sector. The national programme aims to develop capacities of Basotho stakeholders in implementing climate resilient rehabilitation and prevention measures at catchment level.
ReNOKA focuses on a people-centred and risk-informed approach to catchment management that advances resilience by systematically considering climate risks in the catchment management and development process as well as by fostering nature-based solutions for adaptation to climate change.
The Action is establishing a sustainable process for financing and implementation of ICM plans through Community Councils, with technical assistance from Catchment Planning Units (CPUs). In parallel, “fast track” measures are implemented by contractors and communities in hot spots of degradation.
The ICM Action is looking for a Senior Technical Advisor and Team Lead to steer and monitor the implementation of sustainable catchment rehabilitation measures and lead the ICM implementation team.
ABOUT THE POSITION - Full job description download below
The Senior Technical Advisor will be based in Maseru with frequent trips to the intervention sites. The Advisor will lead the implementation team and provide technical guidance and advice on the sound implementation of high-quality measures under the ReNOKA programme. Further the Advisor will be responsible for the management of all related processes with strong emphasis on design, tendering, monitoring and reporting. Measures are carefully selected to address root causes of degradation in a holistic “peak-to-valley” approach.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The Senior Technical Advisor is required to undertake the following tasks:
- You will manage the staff in your area of responsibility in accordance with GIZ’s understanding of leadership and will cultivate appreciative leadership
- Oversee and manage the sound implementation of high-quality and climate resilient catchment rehabilitation measures in selected target areas
- You will conceptualize, plan, design, tender, execute and monitor all key activities together with your team and the partner organization to ensure a holistic and coordinated approach which makes use of synergies
- You will manage consultancies and contractors providing services and works for your key activities and establish a close working relationship with all implementing and political partners and institutions to ensure a coherent approach towards ICM implementation
- You will develop a monitoring plan to ensure that all measures are constantly supervised by the team of engineers and and implement a reporting system that guarantees that all related information is ready at any time during the implementation period
- You will build and maintain networks and cooperation with international and regional initiatives active in the field of climate-smart ICM and IWRM
- You will manage the output’s budget in close cooperation with the officer responsible for the commission and finance manager, secure M&E and quality control of service and work contracts
- You will contribute to knowledge management and support the overall program management regarding acquisition processes as well as the positioning and presentation of the project both internally and externally.
Suitable candidates should apply by submitting a motivation letter (concisely 1 page) detailing why they should be the preferred candidate and the value they will bring to the work of ICM Programme. This should be accompanied by a detailed CV indicating their nationality to: firstname.lastname@example.org with job title quoted on the email subject line “Regional Senior Technical Advisor – ICM Implementation” for the attention of Head of Human Resources.
NB: Interviews will be held in Maseru, Lesotho
Applications from Southern African Development Community (SADC) regions are encouraged to apply.
Closing date for applications: 13 September 2023.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Applications without a Cover letter will not be considered!