German-Brazilian Energy Partnership
Title: German-Brazilian Energy Partnership
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi)
Lead executing agency: Ministry of Mines and Energy
Overall term: 2016 to 2018
The German-Brazilian Energy Partnership was launched in 2008. Due to the country’s abundance of renewable resources, Brazil has one of the most low-carbon energy sectors in the world. More than 60 per cent of electricity is generated using hydropower, making the energy sector particularly flexible for the volatile feed-in of renewable resources such as wind and solar energy. The geographical conditions provide great potential for the further expansion of renewable energy sources such as CSP (concentrated solar power), solar, wind and biomass.
The German-Brazilian Energy Partnership provides a platform for senior political decision-makers and representatives from the fields of industry, associations and financial and research institutions.
The project is supporting the dialogue and exchange of experiences between Brazil and Germany on developing and implementing a national energy strategy that focuses on Renewable Energies.
The Federal Ministry of Economy and Energy (BMWi) is responsible for implementing the energy partnership on the German side. The cooperation and negotiation partner of the energy partnership on the Brazilian side is the Ministry of Energy and Mines (MME).
Other central actors on the German side are the Federal Ministry of Environment, Nature and Nuclear Safety (BMU), and the German Embassy in Brasília. On the Brazilian side, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MRE), the Energy Research Company (EPE) and the National Electric Energy Agency (ANEEL) are involved in the dialogue. Representatives from industry associations, companies, financial institutions and research from both countries are invited to actively participate in the Energy Partnership.
Along with the high-level steering committees at deputy minister and state secretary levels, two thematic working groups have been set up and hold regular exchange on the topics renewable energy, including bioenergy, and energy efficiency. These working groups are open committees in which stakeholders from the fields of business, research and civil society can participate alongside government representatives. The partnership also includes specialist workshops, conferences on energy policy and study trips.
GIZ has been commissioned to provide support in implementing the energy partnership. A secretariat has been set up in Brasilía and Berlin to provide content-based and organisational support in energy partnership activities and to serve all participants and interested stakeholders as a capable point of contact.
As part of the German-Brazilian Energy Partnership, during the following events, high-level policy-makers and industry representatives, associations, financial and research institutions exchanged views on the development and implementation of Brazil's national energy policy in favour of a sustainable, secure and affordable energy supply:
- 26.04.17: Meeting of the Steering Group in Berlin to identify the thematic priorities of the German-Brazilian Energy Partnership
- 6.10.17: Workshop of WG 1 "Renewable Energies" in Rio de Janeiro on "Market Design and Flexibilization in the Power Sector".
- 18.10.17: Study trip and workshop of WG 2 "Energy Efficiency" in Germany; Topics: energy efficiency incentive mechanisms; Tender models for energy efficiency in the electricity sector (using the example of the "step-up program" and energy management systems like ISO 50.0001).
- 16.04.18: Workshop of WG 1 "Renewable Energies" in Berlin before the Berlin Energy Transition Days (BETD 2018) on the importance of auctions for the expansion of renewable energies.
- 09.05.18: First German-Brazilian Energy Day in São Paulo, consisting of a visit of the energy efficiency house E of BASF, a workshop on "Energy efficiency in the building sector" and a reception on the occasion of the traveling exhibition "Energiewende" (AA).
In the following events, the private sector contributed with its expertise and demands to the energy partnerships:
- 13.11.17: Implementation of a high-level workshop on energy efficiency in industry within the framework of the German-Brazilian Economic Meeting (Porto Alegre)
- 10.05.18: Implementation of the first Local Business Advisory Council in São Paulo with more than 20 representatives of German companies in Brazil, with the participation of the BMWi, the German Consulate São Paulo and the German Embassy in Brasilia.
- 25.06.18: Panel discussion on energy efficiency in industry at the German-Brazilian Economic Meeting in Cologne (DBWT in BRA).
- 18.11.18: WS of WG Energy Efficiency on “Digitalization and Energy Efficiency“ (Rio de Janeiro)
Through the traveling exhibition “Energiewende”, which took place in Brazil in three cities, the German energy transition was communicated and explained with the support of the Energy Partnership.