Green Climate Fund Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme II: Scaling up Thailand's climate finance readiness
Title: Green Climate Fund (GFC) Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme II: Scaling up Thailand’s climate finance readiness
Commissioned by: Green Climate Fund (GCF) and German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
Lead executing agency: Climate Change Management and Coordination (CCMC) division within Office of Natural Resources and Environment Policy and Planning (ONEP) of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE)
Overall term: March 2018 – February 2020
From January 2017 to June 2018, the Office of Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP), as well as the Green Climate Fund (GCF) National Designated Authority (NDA), implemented the “GCF Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme” in cooperation with The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ). The Programme was financed by the GCF Secretariat and the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). In its first phase, the project successfully contributed to:
- strengthening ONEP’s capacity and understanding of the GCF, notably the role and functions of the GCF NDA;
- the development of GCF procedures, notably the development of Thailand Country Programme (TCP), an overarching document articulating the country’s priority areas in term of climate change needs, as well as the No-Objection Procedure and Criteria;
- the dissemination of GCF information to key stakeholders.
Building on the results of the first GCF Readiness phase, ONEP has trustfully extended its cooperation with GIZ as a delivery partner to implement the “GCF Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme II: Scaling up Thailand’s climate finance readiness.” The new 2-year phase aims to scale the country’s climate finance readiness to further increase the GCF’s engagement and investment in Thailand.
- ONEP has acquired the necessary knowledge and skills, i.e. analysis of climate finance landscape, climate investment opportunities and entry points, to engage with the private sector.
- The accreditation of a direct access entity has been supported.
- GCF project development opportunities have been identified, as well as Thai priorities and mechanisms to access finances.
- Awareness has increased among Thai private sector stakeholders regarding GCF engagement benefits and opportunities.
The project strengthens the NDA’s knowledge and capacity to engage with private sector actors, including the banking sector, particularly the Thai national banks, the Ministry of Finance and its agencies. In further support of the NDA, priorities laid out in the Thailand Country Programme are being converted into nationally appropriate and viable project ideas for the country’s GCF pipeline. The project strengthens the NDA’s national, regional and international networks, as well as enhancing and coordinating private sector participation. It also supports the Bureau of the Environmental Fund as a nominated direct access entity to compile and submit an application to the GCF.