Developing human resources capacities in the water sector
Title: Wastewater Treatment, Reuse and Water Supply (WTR)
Commissioned by: German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Lead executing agency: Ministry of Water and Irrigation
Overall term: 2020 to 2024
Jordan faces several challenges due to severe water scarcity. The demands of agriculture, industry, and the fast-growing need for drinking water exceed the available renewable water resources by far. On top of that, current climate forecasts predict an increase in fluctuating precipitation patterns. Freshwater availability in Jordan is thus expected to decline further. Efficient and sustainable management of water resources is a high priority for the Government of Jordan. Importantly, these resources include treated wastewater for reuse, which will play an increasingly important role.
Improved technical and human capacities in the water and wastewater sector are leading to optimising the use of water resources in Jordan.
The GIZ module “Wastewater Treatment, Reuse and Water Supply” (WTR) aims to improve the technical and human resource capacities of the water and wastewater sector in Jordan. It has five areas of activity:
- to improve the oversight function of the Jordanian water authority over all three water utilities to achieve better wastewater management through the sustainable integration and digitalisation of their quality management systems and their technical sustainable management (TSM).
- to enhance the organisational development of the water utility “Yarmouk Water increase the efficiency of maintenance and repairs.
- to consolidate the human and organisational capabilities in wastewater treatment plants to ensure effective and efficient operations and improve the utility performance. Operational and maintenance needs will be recognised faster, reaction times shortened, and the daily tasks can be completed more effectively.
- to support the water utility “Miyahuna” in improving the conditions of technical and administrative implementation by developing a master plan and enhancing the water metering in selected areas.
- to improve the technical and management capacities of the water utility “Aqaba Water Company” to optimise the management of their activities in Al-Karak governorate.
Last update: September 2022